My new Betta lost a scale.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Luckna

Reaction score
Finally i got my betta yesterday.and im so happy about it.he is so active and eats alot.but this morning i noticed tht one scale near the tail is missing.but im not sure about it.and there are two live plants in my tank and he keeps swimming around one of the plants like he wants to rub himself.is this a normal habbit or a symptom of some kind of disease.im sending his pics. plz help thank u. (Sorry for my poor english.im not from an english speaking country)

I would watch him for a day or 2 and see how he behaves. He may just be acclimating to the tank and a little stressed. Losing a scale is quite common in all fish and usually means nothing. He may have done it while rubbing on the plant. However, if it looks like he is scratching, then he could have parasites. Do you see any white spots like grains of salt in him? If so, he could have ich. Raising your water temp to 87F and leaving it at that temp for 10 days will cure that. You can add aquarium salt too but not really necessary. Only do this if he has the spots. It can be one or many. For other parasites, both external or internal, you can also purchase a parasitic aquarium medication safe for bettas. Prazipro or API General Cure will usually do the trick. Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited:
deanasue,its so nice and comforting to hear from u. and i checked Ned and i didnt find any white spots.it took me two and a half hour of watching my tank to find out tht there is some kind of micro size worms or insects in the plant tht i mentioned.Ned was eating them all tht time.i quickly removed tht plant cuz im not sure about if thys ok to him or not. please let me know if this will effect him later.thnx

Ned doesnt eat pellets at all.i tried three types of pellets but tht doesnt work.sun dired baby shrimps are the only thing tht he eats.is it ok to give him shrimps daily?

The worms are probably detritus worms and won’t hurt your fish to eat. They actually live in most tanks but are only seen when overfeeding. Try feeding him some frozen blood worms. He should love them. Sun dried shrimp are ok if soaked well first but I wouldn’t make that his only staple. There are a lot of gel foods you can mix and make quickly and easily too. I believe Repashy is one you may look into. I was intimidated to try them but was amazed at how easy they are. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Ned loves blood worms more than shrimps.anyways is it ok to leave ned for two days without food?i hv heard their can manage 14 days without food.is it true?my ned is still new to the tank so is it ok to leave him just for two days?

Feed him well for a few days before and do a water change before leaving. He should be fine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back