My name is Charlie

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Charles W. Coles

Reaction score
I was a small boy when my mother got me my first aquarium and it blossomed from there. I am a retired truck driver that had a heart attack years ago that pushed me into early retirement at age 60. for 30 years my tanks sat in storage waiting for the day that I would have time to set them all up. My have things changed in 30 years All of the mom and pop shops are now closed where I used to sell my fish, names of fish have changed, what used to be a common guppy is now an elder, a Black lace angelfish is now a silver lace angelfish, some things have gotten better but not all. I did not have the internet back 30 years ago. Anything you want to know is just a click away now it is wonderful. I now breed and raise Angelfish, Neon Tetras, all kinds of Barbs, Zebra Danio's, Livebearer's like Green Cobra Guppies, Green Swordtail's, Red Wag Platies, Black Mollies, I put Bristle Nosed Plecostomus in all of my tanks to keep them clean and one day I started seeing babies everywhere what a wonderful surprise. I have always enjoyed having fish and doing what I am finally able to do.

Welcome! I just bought my first group of long fin leopard danios recently. Never had danios before but they are quite an addition to the community.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The guppies you called elders, are a different species to the normal guppy. They are Endler's Livebearers, and many years ago and even today, people have been hybridising them with guppies. The Asian fish farms are currently using Endlers to help improve the guppies, which have become crap over the last 30 years due to inbreeding.

Endlers still have good genetics and will happily breed with normal guppies and you need to watch what you get. Try not to buy hybrids. If you want Endlers, get a pure bloodline and keep them away from guppies.

Charles: welcome back to fishkeeping. Now that you're retired, I'm sure you will enjoy it more than ever.

Once a month, this site has a friendly competition for Tank of the Month. Once you get set up, choose a tank and enter the contest. You get exposure for your tank as well as a neat banner like you see in my avatar area.

Contest starts around the first of each month.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The guppies you called elders, are a different species to the normal guppy. They are Endler's Livebearers, and many years ago and even today, people have been hybridising them with guppies. The Asian fish farms are currently using Endlers to help improve the guppies, which have become crap over the last 30 years due to inbreeding.

Endlers still have good genetics and will happily breed with normal guppies and you need to watch what you get. Try not to buy hybrids. If you want Endlers, get a pure bloodline and keep them away from guppies.
30 plus years ago Common guppies looked very much like what they are calling Elders today. back then the pet shops sold them cheap to feed cichlids and other larger fish. I guess I got confused.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back