My Musk Turtle Aquarium Pics

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nice set up, I'v always fancied a turtle only set up? how does the turtle fare in the tank? :good:

just incase you didn't know musk turtles are bottom walkers and only need as much water for them to stick there head out while fully extended and sat on the bottom i have a care sheet for them on my new website about turtles and fish loads of care sheets but it is only just up and running and its still under constuction

lovely turtles though musk's we have a adult female 13" shell cumberland and we have picked up today a female mississppi map 4" shell and a male false map 4.5" shell we rescued them from someone who found them dumped at a school in uttoxeter

http://theturtletank.webs.com/ have a look and sign up its 100% free

hey :)

yeah i know they are bottom walkers, but since those pics were posted i have added a dry land area for them to sit on and bask, but at the moment they are in too small a tank :(
waiting on some money to clear so i can buy a new one for them.

im also looking to get a larger tank for my ouachita map and soft shell cos the one they are in is also getting too small now

ill have a look at your site and sign up :)
im a member of ATP forums, but its in the US and although extremely helpful, i want more turtle contacts in the UK.

While i have your attention, im guessing your in the UK? im desperately looking for a female ouachita map, but so far only found people in america wiling to sell or donate.. can you help me out?

going back to what you said about being bottom walkers.
this may be true but they actually prefer being in a larger tank full of water with just logs and ledges to climb out onto.

I take it that your Ouachita and softie are in seperate tanks, because they're not really the best of tank mates...

Nice little musk setup though. I stick with shallower water for them when they're small, but they enjoy the slightly deeper stuff when they've grown up a bit.

Best bet for finding a female ouachita I'd just keep an eye out in local pet stores and various classifieds, have a bit of a trawl (they all tend to be listed as mississippis or false, but there are a fair few ouachitas in there). As long as you're proficient in telling apart Falses, missis and Ouachitas there are plenty out there in need of homes!

Where are you based?

I love musk turtles!, make sure you have a good uv light
I also highly recommend getting some bog wood and use it as a bit of "ladder" for him to get to the surface by just walking up, it will also give him a chance to rest with his head above water which IMO these guys need, because everyone need to rest sometimes, even turtles :p
These guys often do fairly well with fish, just don't get too attached lol
Ive heard they will usually leave corys and zebra danios alone
and these guys love earthworms, especially the big nightcrawlers!

a lot has changed since i fist posted this lol

the turtles are now in a 3 foot tank. in total i have 5 musks and the ouachitas map.
the softie had to go as he got too big for the 5ft tank he was in :( was a shame to see him go :(

as of now im trying to rehome and sell my turtles
all of them

can even sell with tanks and all equipment, but need to do this in the next 2 months as my breeding room tanks are now setup for breeding seahorses and i need the space and electricity lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back