My Modest Coldwater Tank :)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ny82

1 Woman Army ;)
Reaction score
Hi everyone I just joined the forum. I have a modest 30 litre tank and have 2 platys in it at the moment. They are green variatus platy and I believe I have a male and a female. They seem to come out at night when my 2 year old is in her bed! They were hiding behind the plants a lot but tonight they have been very lively and follow each other around.

In this pic the top one is the female she is smaller and the bottom one is the male.
IMAG1446.jpg

IMAG1445.jpg

Once again the top one is the female and the bottom one the male.
IMAG1447.jpg

Looking nice :) cheerful, clean and fun :)

Great job!

What are you going to do if they start breeding?

Looking nice :) cheerful, clean and fun :)

Great job!

What are you going to do if they start breeding?
Thankyou :)I didn't actually think they would breed unless in a tropical set up but on my thread in the introductions section-somebody said they will. I am about 80% sure it's a male and female can anyone see the pic and confirm this? I will try and get a proper pic now that they are confidently swimming around together!

Ok so here are the pics.
This is the suspected male.
DSC00274.jpg

As you can see his fin at the back comes to a point.

This is the female. Not very clear but you can see she has a square fin at the back and it's a lot fuller.
DSC00276.jpg

Thanks

I didn't think platys were typical cold water fish, but I suppose as long as the water doesn't fall below 20c they should be ok.
I had my platys & guppies without a heater in the summer, but since I got a heater they're much more active

The reason I joined this forum was because I had seen a post about pets at home selling platys as cold water fish-panicked because that was my situation and joined and have been told by forum members they will be fine. It had on the tank in pets at home temperate. The tank I have is at room temperature they are very active now and chase each other around the tank. They also love eating the cabomba plant I have in the tank :rolleyes: lol
Also today when I went to buy a hideout for them-I saw siamese fighters in the coldwater tanks too. They was one with the comets, one in the fantails and one in the normal small goldfish tank.

Variatus like these can tolerate colder temps than your basic platy. Their range is from about 16-25C. Bettas on the other hand, do much better at 24-28C.

Variatus like these can tolerate colder temps than your basic platy. Their range is from about 16-25C. Bettas on the other hand, do much better at 24-28C.
I'm not going to put anything else in my tank I like the 2 of them being in there, gives them space to swim and stuff. I have posted in another section that today I found 2 snails in the tank. I've not seen these before, they are bright orange.
290320_278099615560751_100000821445826_717693_2007237241_o.jpg

Not the best pic but you get the idea. I haven't seen them since.

The snails will have come into the tank from the plants mate. not really anything to worry about as long as you dont get over populated with them:good:

You are right with the ID of a female and I "think" you are right with the male (the pic is a bit blurry).

If you look at their bottom fin the females have a nice big fan shaped one and the males have a more cylindrical 'tube' shaped one.

You are right with the ID of a female and I "think" you are right with the male (the pic is a bit blurry).

If you look at their bottom fin the females have a nice big fan shaped one and the males have a more cylindrical 'tube' shaped one.

Yeah that's what my 2 have, one of each lol.

Lucy-thanks for the advice, I can't find them now, they have disappeared. Maybe spot them again soon.

hey ny, what filter are you using?

also - Yes, the platys will be ok at those temps but if you add a heater (say an elite 50 watt (cheap and reliable)) and a thermometer to measure the temp then they will be a lot more lively and they will be happier at those temps as well. But how you have them atm will do :)

Have you got a test kit at all - if so is it liquid or strip.

Liquid test kits are quite reliable. Salifert is the best one IMO but if you don't want to fork out all that much then The API master test kit will do as well. It's the one I use anyway :)

Happy fishkeeping

Rob

:good:

Sorry to inform you mate, but I think your turtle has a bad case of pop-eye. :-(

LOL! i scrolled up looking for a injured turtle and now i know what you mean :p

Most reactions

Back