My Master Plan

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BettaMomma

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I have come up with a (what I think to be a) great master plan for all my haphazard collection of betta tanks EVERYWHERE.

SO.. At the current time I have 17 fish.
My 6 females are in 1 10G together.
2 males are in a divided 10G.
2 males are in a divided 2.5G minibow.
2 males are on their own in a 2.5G minibow.
4 males are on their own in a 2.5G rectangular tank.
1 male is in his own in a 2G hex tank.

SO... while this seems like a huge collection of nonsense, all of which doesn't match, I have tanks sitting everywhere all willy-nilly and my house is starting to be over-run with tanks. So my master plan is this:

My son's room is going to become my betta haven. He'll love it, and so will they I think. His room currently is done with lots of Ikea-ish type furnishings, done in all marine colors - bright navy blue, purple, turquoise and lime green. I will get a shelf system from Ikea that I can stain blue to match the rest of his furniture. And then the Minibows that I get will all be either purple, blue, teal or lime green.

My female betta tank will stay where it is - I must have SOMETHING to look at out in my living room after this whole thing takes place!

The divided 10G tank will be part of a trade with Saucy - she'll get my 10G setup, I'll get a brand spankin new minibow from her, and we'll be squared away.

All the rest of my fish will be *hopefully* be going into Minibows - one of the colors listed above. And I am hoping that each one of them has his own 2.5G setup, no shared ones anymore.

SO - I will be kind of randomly putting minibows scattered throughout the slots in the shelf system areas, with other fun stuff that's fish related (stuffed animals, cool little tank decor that's too scratchy for bettas to tolerate, but I have in my posession anyway, so we'll use it for decor) into the remaining areas. Then, the wall behind this huge setup will be painted all those colors to match. OR, depending on if all those colors would get lost with each other - I might just paint a different wall.

OOoooh.. and the way coolest part about this is that since my son will be going to spend 3 weeks with his grandparents over the summer, I'm going to be pulling a "While You Were Out" on him. He has no idea. :D

Wow BettaMomma....it sounds fantastic. He will loves his new aquarium :) On a side note...how do your girls get along? I am still so torn about what to do with my 10 gal. Things are calming down as long as the one blue female doesn't go near the front of the tank....I feel bad for her because both pick on her. The cellophane at the moment seems to be in control. She really doesn't bother the blue female much...it is Sparkalina who chases her around the tank for sport.

Take care and can't wait to see pix of the set up.
Sandi

Sounds like a great idea. I can't wait til you're done and take pics ...... before and after just like the show ! :lol:

lucky son! I want to do that too as soon as I have the go-ahead from my parnts to buy fish on my own without their permission before buying anything live that isn't becoming food. My room is "Pacific ocean blue" and celing "Capri Seas" and I have a purple Ikea desk, and I'm giving my aunt my ugly old dresser and getting some sort of stacked shelf/drawer syetem from Ikea, and If by that time I can buy fish on my own, I also want a shelf like that. I think I'll clear out my Breyers and drawings and put fish and dog pics, hopefully framed in black frames.

sandig said:
Wow BettaMomma....it sounds fantastic. He will loves his new aquarium :) On a side note...how do your girls get along?
My girls get along fairly well.
There have been some issues lately because of having to pull some of them out at various times for treatment in a hospital tank, which throws off the whole flow of how they get along. One of my girls who, for the longest time, was the head honcho of the tank, is now getting picked no mercilessly - so last night I made one last ditch effort to calm them all. I took them all out, rearranged everything (after a vacuum so killed 2 birds w/one stone), added a bunch of new plants and put everyone back. I noticed this morning they're still chasing her so I might have to remove her. Poor girl.

But - way back when I had first gotten the tank and there were plenty of plants, it was a very peaceful little tank. I'm not sure if we can ever get it back to that again, but I'm sure trying.

I would definitely get a couple more girls and I think you'll see the aggression levels go way down, if not disappear completely.

Awesome idea, bettamoma. Now, if I could just give you my parent's phone number and have you share some of your awesome parenting skills...

seriously though, cool idea!

That's gonna be awesome, BettaMomma! I'd love to see the look on your son's face when he sees it!

he is gonna be like :eek: ..... -_- uhh..... :shifty: .... :blink: .... :unsure: ..... :S ...... :lol: .... :D ... :p ..... :hyper: OMG!!! :) or well thats what i would do :) hehe

Aww what a kind mother you are, to your son and your fish ;) . :wub: That is a very creative idea. I hope it works out as well as you have it planned. I cannot wait to see the pictures :)

I can't wait either.
I am not really looking forward to him being gone, cuz I'm going to be bored off my butt, but then look at all the work I have to do in that room. :whistle:

I think I am going to drop a bundle of money, too.

Oh well, it's going to sort of end up being my fishroom, then too.

I'm off to scope out prices of things this afternoon. yeehaw!

I picked out paint colors yesterday. :kana:
Today I am going hunting for the shelf system. That's posing to be a way huger problem than I had anticipated, given the weight factor of all the tanks.

BUT, I'm on a mission. I hope to get the painting done this weekend and Monday I'm going to be picking up all the tanks. Or at least however many will fit into my car. hee hee

I'll be taking photos as I go.

Oh, and I'm going to be DYING in that room. Our A/C unit is in our living room - WAY on the other end of the apartment from where I will be. So, to keep all my fishies safe, i will be keeping the door closed in the room and open the window. SO since it's been hotter than blazes here, i will be sweating my hiney off.

Oh, the things we don't do for our children. AND our fish.
:rolleyes:

Before, during and after photos will start showing up in the next few days.

ps - anyone near Madison want to come up and help me paint this weekend? lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back