7 sailfin mollies
1 angel
5 long fin danios
2 dwarf jewel cichlids
2 Bristlenose plecs

Juwel Reckford 60litre -

1 Suvetii puffer.

THE MASTER PLAN:
I've decided I like the Juwel tanks because they are easy to maintain, they come with everything you need, they're quiet... etc. I've decided I DON'T like my external filter, because of the potential to empty the tank over the carpet if a tube comes loose (I've rotted the carpet underneath the tank). Also my housemates don't like the noise it makes.

I'm going to get a Juwel rio 400 or vision 450 (depending on price) and combine the stock in both community tanks plus 2 more bala sharks (to keep sharkie company) and some more zebra loaches (to keep zipeddy company) and some more corys because there'll be room for a larger shoal.

I'm going to move Philip (South American Puffer) into the 125 litre, maybe with the 2 CAEs.

This way, I won't have to buy Philip a new tank, meaning I keep my tanks down to four instead of five. Also sharkie and Zipeddy get company.

SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE -
I'm getting the goldfish and Merlin (common plec) a bigger tank, but I can't afford to do both at once.

how does the plan sound?

sounds like a plan, although what external do you have? my ehiem is silent.

by the way an L75 is a para plec and a type of peckoltia(i think)

I don't think juwel filters are ideal but they have brought out a bigger powerhead now so sticking that one may do a better job but i'ved always thought juwel are a bit cheap by putting a 'Jumbo' filter on quite a range of size, i think they should re design the filtration for bigger tanks.

it's an eheim thermal filter. I got it second hand with the tank. I've never been able to make it quiet is there a trick?

I've found a brand new Rio 400 and cabinet for £541.99 online. This includes delivery. the Rio 450 is £100 more and so I wouldn't be able to pay my rent if I got that one. anyone know of a better bargain? I'm going to go down to my LFS later to see if they are cheaper (cos you don't have to pay delivery).

nope... the cheapest LFS I know near me would do it for £600. So the net is still cheaper...

the pump turns over 1000 litres p/hour. Is that what you were thinking of Paul?

I see a flaw in your plan... MTS is terminal I am afraid, maybe not now, but eventually, you will get that fifth tank, Sorry to burst your bubble :p

Jon

nah there is a bigger pump out, if you go into a shop and look on the back of the powerheads that are sold separately there's a new pump which looks bulkier and does 1600lph i think.

we were selling the vision 450 for £600 but recently bumped the price up to £650 i think it is.

can't remember how much the 400 is.

but i doubt we would delivery to london anyways :rolleyes:

does the external have the rubber feet o the bottom of the cannister, i have a Pro2 which sits inside the cabinet and thats about 3 ft away from my head at night.

ah! I'll have a look for that pump! does the £650 include the cabinet? that's really good!

no, there's no rubber feet at the bottom of the canister... I have it sat on some foam though. But I think the sound is coming from the top bit, rather than the vibrations.

I see a flaw in your plan... MTS is terminal I am afraid, maybe not now, but eventually, you will get that fifth tank, Sorry to burst your bubble
oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! I'm doomed :no: :no: :no:

i only noticed it when reordering the old ones last week, i think we might get a few in as most mainre keepers with juwel tank would apreciate the extra power.

yep £650 all incl.

yeh MTS is terminal....i was going to get rid of some smaller tanks once i had another bigger one but ended up findind a use for them now

i was going to get rid of some smaller tanks once i had another bigger one but ended up findind a use for them now
I'm going to have to sell the spare tank QUICK then! before I find a use for it!

I'm afraid that they're right, getting a bigger tank is no cure, you'll just want another even bigger tank. :lol:

I'm a little concerned that you're considering subjecting poor Philip to the company of a couple of CAEs, not a good idea in my opinion....

yay! I just got an email, my tank's arriving on Friday. Problemo... no one will be home. So I've emailed him back asking if I can please please please have it on Thursday? At the moment I'm the Deputy Stage Manager on a dance show and Friday's when we're plotting the lights so I HAVE to be there no matter what or the whole show is b*ggered. But I can work from home on Thursday cos I was planning just to do paper work anyway.

I'm a little concerned that you're considering subjecting poor Philip to the company of a couple of CAEs, not a good idea in my opinion....
yeah I've given up on that plan now. I have a theory that Philip would scare/fight them off with his puffer teeth and they'd leave him alone, but I asked in oddballs, and everyone thinks it's a bad idea so I'm not going to do that anymore.

I've figured I can fill at least 60% of the new tank with old water from other tanks. I'm going to use old gravel too and already established plants. I'm going to be able to fill about 1/3-1/2 of the filter with established filter media from other tanks and I'm going to run two small internals (both cycled and good for 100 litre tanks) for a few weeks. I think the tank will be fine (cycled) to add the fish straight away. Does anyone disagree?

Sounds fine to me, thats how I would do it, though I wouldn't worry about the water. The gravel and filter media should cope with the fish you are planning if you don't let the old media lay around for too long (more than a couple of hours) and that you don't add a load of new fish at the same time. And it cant hurt that the water will be 100% clean.

Jon

mission aborted :/ had some trouble with the bank - my standing order for my rent didn't go out last month because a cheque hadn't cleared, so now I've got to pay two months rent at once, so I've had to cancel the order on the tank.

someday...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back