My LFS Said One Thing But Aquadvisor Says Another Re African Cichlids

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The more you learn, the more you know that there's much more to learn. Not so for the closed mind of a know it all. Further discussion seems pointless so I will just move along.
May I quote this at a later time? There has been occasion where it could have been quite useful. :)

The more you learn, the more you know that there's much more to learn. Not so for the closed mind of a know it all. Further discussion seems pointless so I will just move along.

I presume this was aimed at me, in which case I find it ironic that you consider I have a closed mind when I am one of the members here most advancing new discoveries and continually being told I am wrong. I believe that humans are causing climate change and we are in serious trouble--but that is being closed minded? I believe in evolution though there are those who do not, but I am being closed minded?

Last edited:
Byron - I respect your knowledge and research but for the sake of the forum and you, I have to agree with AbbeysDad. It is usually your way or the highway. Even when someone like LumpFish Guy points out you are wrong about something you refuse to listen. You have to be right and you are bound and determined to have others see your way. The earth won’t stop turning tomorrow simply because someone disagrees with you. You appear to believe that your way is normally the only correct way and that simply isn’t true. You could grow a lot and benefit from listening to others. Sometimes the most knowledgeable people are the ones right in front of you that have dealt with such issues in the past. Not everyone has papers published or scientific studies to quote but they have hands on experience that has taught them lessons. We are all wrong at times. I have learned so much from the wise people on this forum and often times I have to swallow my own pride and learn from it. Bottom line is that sometimes there is more than one answer and we all just have to agree to disagree at those times. No one is keeping score. We are all here because we enjoy the hobby and want to grow. When we stop growing, we stop living. I believe most of us on the forum truly respect you and listen to what you have to say. We would just appreciate the same respect in return. Please take this in the manner in which I am attempting to say it. To grow and better each other from the information we share. Let’s all get along and have fun enjoying the hobby we so love! Live in peace.

Deanasue, you have decided to disagree with most of my posts, fine. As for my not listening to LumpFishGuy, that is totally false and shows a bias you have against me. I did not tear into him, and I did accept his position on scientific studies. People are entitled to disagree when it comes to personal opinion. But you have disagreed with me on scientific evidence and that I will continue to discount. Most of the advice I post has the consensus of the majority of the hobby. I am always careful to mention it is my opinion when this is not the case or when it is not based on scientific study--which may be wrong but is still scientific study that needs to be considered. I believe that is the most benefit to those asking for advice.

Ok, Byron. First it was AbbeysDad’s fault and now it is mine. Whatever! The point is it is perfectly alright to disagree. Everyone is entitled to an opinion... not just YOU! Your comment above is so typical from you. Who said you tore into LumpFishGuy! No one! Geeze, never mind. Let’s get on to some new posts.

Last edited:
Ok, Byron. First it was AbbeysDad’s fault and now it is mine. Whatever! The point is it is perfectly alright to disagree. Everyone is entitled to an opinion... not just YOU! Your comment above is so typical from you. Who said you tore into LumpFishGuy! No one! Geeze, never mind. Let’s get on to some new posts.

Fault for what, exactly? I've no idea what your problem is, aside from miss-quoting my comments and ignoring the science I reference. And you were the one who tore into LFG. I accepted his comments and moved on.

I’m not continuing this, Byron. You need to stop!

You are prepared to disagree with my posts even when they are scientifically-based, but I am not free to disagree with yours? Now I see it. Cheers.

Byron, I could care less about scientific information. I do what works in my tanks. I LISTEN to others and learn from them. You are way too deep and strange for me. I’m sorry. But there, I said it. Now drop it! I will not be responding to you any further. Thank you!

That's it kiddies, go get a room....

Keep it on topic please, this no longer has anything to do with the subject of this thread..

As much as we try to mimic nature, our aquariums aren't really there. Take the community tank in general... I have Angel's, Swordtails, Neon Tetra's, and Cories in my 60g display. And even though Neons and Cories are shoaling fish, I only have a few of each. And Angels with Swordtails - some say it can't be done (my water is neither hard, nor soft). But here they are and all are happy and fine and have been for years. My Angels don't bother the neons, even though they could be tasty meals...but then they're well fed.
But you'd likely never see this combination of fish anywhere near each other in nature...and of course, many would be in large groups. But then again, most all of the fish I have were never really in nature. They were bred and raised in tanks or ponds and never saw the wild. They never went for days without food or necessarily lived in large groups to confuse predators. So I tend to question the notion that shoaling species must only be kept in groups of six or more.
So is a community tank wrong? I guess like many things, it depends on how you look at it.
I'm really not familiar enough with all of the species you've suggested. So I don't have a real opinion on the combo. You didn't mention your tank size and I will agree that a larger tank, well scaped (with hiding places) makes a big difference - you always want to avoid crowding that leads to aggression. You also need to be mindful of genders as quite often breeding pairs can get real territorial.
Note: Having written the above, some time ago I was at a Barnes and Noble book store in the Mall next to the National Aquarium in Baltimore. They had what had to be an 800+ gallon, well planted aquarium, with 100 - 200 Neon Tetras (and no other fish). It was amazing.

EDIT: Our posts overlapped and I see you have a 150g. Good for you!
I have a small mollie in a cichlid tank not because I want him in there but he got in and winglet me save his fish-a^*
He’s been swimming with the big guys for months. So far I think he’s their mascot! He’s fine.

I have to agree with Byron on this one. You can’t change scientifically proven facts no matter what occupation you’re in.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back