My Half Banded Spiny Eel

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

JohnRossDele

Fish Herder
Reaction score
if you were nearer I'd have him/her.

Anyone close enough, these eels are lovely fish - mine is active, visible and competes well for food. I've only seen him eat blood worm but I am sure he secretly eats bits of other food.

Livestock: Half Banded Spiny Eel
Quantity for sale: X1
Reason for sale: Tank overstocked & I have not given the fish the suitable aquascape to live in
Delivery or collection:Both
Sales price: 8 pound plus (offers available)
Photograph: will upload

If someone is looking towards buying the fish I will not give to anyone who buys on impulse or cannot give a suitable living condition

how big is the eel?

approx 2.5-3.0"

If someone is looking towards buying the fish I will not give to anyone who buys on impulse or cannot give a suitable living condition

It's a gregarious, largely non-piscivorous species that needs a sandy substrate, never gravel, but will adapt to a range of water conditions for soft and acidic through to slightly brackish. Keep in a tank with lots of plants, especially floating plants, and don't mix with other bottom feeders except perhaps things like bristlenose plecs that won't compete for food. Needs live foods initially (bloodworms, tubifex, earthworms) but will adapt to wet frozen once settled. Feeds only at night.

Picture327.jpg

It's a gregarious, largely non-piscivorous species that needs a sandy substrate, never gravel, but will adapt to a range of water conditions for soft and acidic through to slightly brackish. Keep in a tank with lots of plants, especially floating plants, and don't mix with other bottom feeders except perhaps things like bristlenose plecs that won't compete for food. Needs live foods initially (bloodworms, tubifex, earthworms) but will adapt to wet frozen once settled. Feeds only at night.

Picture327.jpg

I'm just going to point out that mine lives happily with 4 reedfish and 4 raphael cats and feeds whatever time of day the bloodworm goes in.

These eels can be very adaptable and visible once settled in.

Picture327.jpg

I'm just going to point out that mine lives happily with 4 reedfish and 4 raphael cats and feeds whatever time of day the bloodworm goes in.

These eels can be very adaptable and visible once settled in.

this info was from nmonks in 1 of my other threads lol

I know and is certainly good advice but thought people may be interested in some other perspectives.

more perspectives:

they are a very good oddball fish being quiet peaceful, this species can be very shy to start of with but once settled your in for a treat! zig zag eels will swim at the bottom strata of the tank in search for food and will sometimes rest submerged in the sand keeping only the head above the sand watching out for predators as they would have done this in the wild. This species has a beautiful pattern of a zig-zag motion hence the name zig zag eel, they will reach a size of 6-8" so be sure you can provide a decent enough size tank! although being peaceful; tank mates should never be smaller than a guppy or similar sized fish as they will just become a midnight snack for this fish & feed at night ONLY with frozen bloodworms
:)
this is from my research on the fish and personal experience i hope this will help

It is if you lived in england...but you don't.

That may well be the going rate for the eel in Ireland.
I know it's only a stones throw from England, but considering how much prices varys here...it's not that odd that there can be big differences where you are.

yeah i agree, i wasn't suggesting you was charging too much!
i know the prices over there are sometimes considerably more than here, strange really, i have seen them go for similar places here, just my lfs seems to be very cheap compared to a lot of places. just me being lucky i suppose1
well, i hope you find it a good home, they are very nice fish!
i just re-homed my peacock eel as it wasn't happy in my tank and replaced it with a fire eel which competes more for food and so isn't left out!
good luck!
Dave

I can post, dont worry if your in england/scotland/whales but if ur in USA i cant ship that far incease the fish dies on delivery :good:

Most reactions

trending

Back