My Goldfish Ate The Aquarium Salt!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jenste

Resurrecting the Passion of Fishkeeping
Reaction score
After doing my water change I was adding in the aquarium salt and one of my goldfish swam over and started gobbling it up!!! He must have eaten at least 5 pieces before I could shoo him away with my hand...

what effects should I look out for?

Umm I think you're supposed to dissove the salt before ading it to the tank.
Direct contact with the salt can burn fish.
He probably thought you were dropping food in there.

After doing my water change I was adding in the aquarium salt and one of my goldfish swam over and started gobbling it up!!! He must have eaten at least 5 pieces before I could shoo him away with my hand...

what effects should I look out for?

Nothing. In the future, dissolve your aquarium salt in your new tank water before pouring it into the tank. It'll work way better.

thank you!!! i panicked - I usually do dissolve it first but today it slipped my mind so I thought I could just add it in....then my fish nearly gave me a heart attack with his gluttony! (they had just eaten before the water change!!! little pig!!)

atleast he will be alright...that is my main concern!!! I will definitely remember from now on!

are goldfish brakish or benifit from salt? ive never heard of having aquarium salt for goldfish

Well I went to a fantastic LFS...it is a private shop and the owner just lives and breathes fish!! My family had been going to him for years and he completely slipped my mind until this afternoon. On another thread I mentioned that my black moor was feeling poorly...so today I brought the fish to that LFS and he examined the fish, retested my water and asked about the tankmates, filter, how long it had been established etc etc etc. He was shocked to hear I had stopped using aquarium salt considering I was housing guppies and gold fish together. He recommended I try using it again and said it would also heal the irritation on my Black Moor.

so...lets wait and see

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back