My Glass Catfish Is Pregnant!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

catfish07

Reaction score
I just noticed today that one of my glass catfish's belly had gone pink. As i examined closer, i realised there where silvery eggs. Now heres the problem- My tank is filled with all sorts of untrustworthy fry-eating menaces like gouramis, danios, red tail black sharks and other catfish. I have no other tank so I decided to isolate the pregnant catfish in a floating bag filled with plants, but i do not really know what the outcome will be. How many eggs will be laid? How long will they take to hatch? How big will the fry be? Will the mother eat them? What should i feed the fry when they are born? These are the questions that need answering
Please feel free to leave tips and suggestions

:hi: to the forum!
Congrats on breeding glass cats, I don't know many people who have.
You might want want to get a smaller tank (around the 10 gallon mark) to put the fish in, then after the eggs are born, remove the female and put it back in the regular tank.
No idea about anything else, sorry!
Got any pictures?
Cheers,
GobyMaster

:hi: to the forum!
Congrats on breeding glass cats, I don't know many people who have.
You might want want to get a smaller tank (around the 10 gallon mark) to put the fish in, then after the eggs are born, remove the female and put it back in the regular tank.
No idea about anything else, sorry!
Got any pictures?
Cheers,
GobyMaster
I dont really know how my catfish got pregnant, i was abroad for about 2 months and the tank lights where off all the time. Also the fish were fed every other day.

congrats, i love the 2 glass cats i keep in with my betta. If you can swing it, run out and pick up a 5g fry tank and some fry food.

hmm.. my guess would be that your glass catfish has eggs, but is not technically "pregnant". There've been very few reports of them breeding in captivity, but egg layers, which these are assumed to be, generally need a male to fertilize the eggs after they've been laid, or while they are being scattered. There are much fewer species that fertilize internally, and then lay (such as oil cats). I don't believe there are any catfish that give birth to live young.

You probably won't get baby glass cats by seperating her from the others, and having her in a floating bag may just kill her as you aren't going to have any circulation of her water and the waste is trapped in the small amount of water. If you really want to try breeding them, you should make up a species tank.

[edit] just reread your post and realized there were plants in the bag. these may help keep the waste down and the water oxygenated, but there have been stories of livebearers stressed to the point of aborting in breeder boxes so I really think this is not the solution for breeding you fish.

Most reactions

Back