My Garden Pond

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ryefish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
These are some pictures taken back in August '09. We bought a new UV filter, a large new pump (our last one was literally taped together), and my mum insisted on some new lining because thee current one was caked in gunk after having really bad algae issues all summer (it stunk like a pig farm :sick: )

The pond holds around 200 gallons of water, and currently 58 fish - 55 goldfish and 3 tench - one golden and two green. We have so many goldfish due to breeding a few years before. We have a large female, but our large male got snatched by a heron :( . We have given away around 40 fish so far and are still left with 55.

2009_0827pond0002.jpg

2009_0910girls0005.jpg

2009_0910girls0006.jpg

the big girl
2009_0910girls0011.jpg

2009_0910girls0013.jpg

one of the black ones - aged 3 to 4 years old
2009_0910girls0018.jpg

Our eldest "black one" finally turned orange at the end of summer '09 at 6-7 years old lol.

And for some size comparison (they were NOT out of the water for long, we had to do health checks on them all because it is not often that we actually fish them out)

Largest fish - the female
2009_0827pond0004.jpg

The smallest - his name is Sparky and he is 3 years old
2009_0827pond0005.jpg

And my beautiful Golden Tench - Mortiis.
2009_0827pond0007.jpg

unfortunately no pictures of the green tench. We only bought them in June '09.

Hope you like :D

it is the pride and joy of the house lol. I think my mum would be lost without the pond. The pond was originally built before i was born and was originally concrete. It has since been moved about 4 times around the garden, but is now back where it was - minus the concrete.

I *think* our oldest fish in there is around 12 years old

wow good going, nice to see someone actually cares for their pond fish, I have known people to neglect their pond

:good:

Our whole garden is based around our pond, so it would be pretty hard to neglect it haha! We fitted a new window a few months ago so we could get a better view of the garden lol.

Some pictures from today! My poor pond!! :sad:
2010_0108snow0008.jpg

It hit -10C last night, and i have never seen the water on the rocks get iced up before so we are having to keep a close eye on the pipes and filter box to make sure nothing is completely freezing up and stopping the water flow. I haven't been able to see the fish in the pond since a few weeks before Christmas because of the ice and then snow. We actually have fishermen's floats in there to keep gaps in the ice but she snow has just mauled them. The pond is about 3ft deep so the fish should be ok at the bottom, but before all this second snowfall thats been here a week there was 4" of ice on the surface :no:

looks good!!!

wish I had plants in mine but I built as a raised with no shelves for plansts

have you got frozen water? mines finally frozen last night hopefully I'kll have a repeat of last year with no casualties?

we are lucky enough to not have had any casualties during the winter. the top of the pond is frozen by a good few inches. We have a large shelf that the bottom rock of the waterfall sits on, and the one to the left. there is a circle 'cut' out of the bottom that is about half a foot deep that the fish generally stay in during the winter (it has rocks in that the tenches live under)

That's a very pretty pond, I love the layout and the lavender framing it, very pretty fish too! :) Me and my family are starting work on our new pond that we just dug yesterday, 10' x 10' and 4 ft deep.

Looks good in these pond.I think you should able to make it done with some good koi fish more in the pond.Thanks for sharing these photos here.Looking forward for more photos.I have also one big pond in my outdoor of house.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back