My Fishless Cycle.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Im looking through your tab in your sig, but I still cant find the instructions on how much bicarb to add and how to add it etc...... sorry :(

copy and paste from Rabbut

A guide to pH crashes and their remedies

pH crashes affect a lot of people whom fishless cycle a tank. The whole process of a fishless cycle lends itself to this problem for anyone who is in a soft water area. I will try to cover how the pH crash comes about (itā€™s causes), why a stable pH is more important than a bouncing one for fish, as well as a pH-KH link (If you arenā€™t a scientifically minded person, you may which to skip this bit). Finally Iā€™ll look at remedies for the crash.

pH is a measure of how acidic or alkaline a liquid is. The lower the reading is from 7, the more Acidic the liquid is, with 7 being Nutral and anything above that being Alkaline. KH is an abreviation of Carbonate Hardness, and is a measure of the ammount of Carbonate Salts disolved in the water you are testing. A pH crash is where the pH falls to a very low number as a result. Generaly 6 or less could be considered a crashed pH if that is lower than the pH of the water from your source.

pH crash causes.

Anything acidic in a tank will try to pull the pH down. Nitrate and Nitrite are both acidic, and these build up to quite high levels in a cycling tank. This will lead to the pH crashing if the water in the tank does not have many things dissolved into it (Hardness). Other things can crash the pH also, like peat in the filter, black-water extract supplements, bogwood and CO2 injection amongst others.

Stability is key

A fluctuating pH is very stressful to fish, and needs to be avoided. To establish if your tankā€™s pH will move with fish in it, I would recommend that you invest in a KH test kit or have the LFS test your waterā€™s KH If it is low, you will need to take different action to another person with a medium-to-high KH reading. The ket to keeping the pH stable is moving the KH, due to the pH-KH linkā€¦

The pH-KH link

pH and KH are very closely linked to each other. If pH drops, it is likely that KH will be low. KH basically acts as a buffer to keep pH at a certain value, as the Carbonate salts that make up your KH will bond with anything acidic, neutralising it (itā€™s a bit more complex than that, but this is a beginnerā€™s ā€œadvancedā€ guide ) If KH gets depleted, there is nothing to prevent acidic chemicals from pulling the pH down.

If KH in a tank is low, the fish waste being broken down in the filter will quite possibly crash the pH. With fish in, this would spell disaster, so remedial action needs to be done before this event. For this reason, Iā€™d look at the more permanent solutions if you have a low KH from the tap.

Solutions

1) In a fishless cycle, Nitrite or Nitrate will likely be the cause of a pH crash, so a large water change is often all thatā€™s needed This method is best for those with a mid-to-high KH reading. This is a short-term fix for a mid-cycle crash.

2) Adding Baking Powder or Baking Soda will raise the KH and hence pH. This method is best for those with low-to-mid KH readings and is a short-term fix for a mid-cycle crash. Use about 1 tea spoon per gallon to start and work from there.

3) Adding about 1 tea spoon of coral gravel or coral sand to the filter will pull the KH and hence pH up. This is a long-to-mid term fix. If this is not enough, add a bit more to your filter This is the recomended solution to pH crashes early on and for people with a low KH from the tap.

4) A temporary fix is a product like pH-up. These chemicals usually leave the KH alone, so expect a crashed pH at the next testā€¦

so if I put aroung 7 tea spoons of baking powder in the tank, that should do it,( 7 being 7 gallons). Thanks miss wiggle ur a great help.

What I found in the cupboard :

Baking powder - Ingredients = Raising agents ( Disodium Diphosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate).

yeah i believe thats the right stuff, basically what you need is the bicarb of soda, you can buy it 'pure' again in the baking ailse of the supermarkert but i'm relatively sure you can use baking powder as well.

well rabbut put it in his guide which was peer reviewed on the forum and no one said otherwise..... :shifty: :rolleyes:

ok I will go and test my kh now and then add 3 spoons in, then test 15 mins later and see what I get. If it goes wrong it goes wrong, story of my life lol

just added 3, checked 30 mins later, slight change, so added up to 7 teaspoons. will check later

so when i get fish, surley i cant be putting bi carb in all the time, so how do I keep my kh up, if its 0 in the tap water?

so when i get fish, surley i cant be putting bi carb in all the time, so how do I keep my kh up, if its 0 in the tap water?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back