My Fishes 6th Birthday!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Karen_2656

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
6ff272269833b86d025e7cb78f6020fc.jpg

Happy birthday to my amazing catfish!! He's turned massive!! This was him when he was 2 and a bit!!

393056460a63d74ed5dd7921dc16da2d.png

Also it's my clown loaches 4th birthday, he's a big boy!!
31a5437fe8db7171d1fc9f7a1e6f6312.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! 6 years is an impressive amount of time

lol, it's really not. Most catfish and loaches are very long lived; 25 or 30 years is quite possible for these fish; I had a clown plec for around 20 years, and I have some catfish now, of various species, that are well over 17.

OP; I hope you have a very large tank? Your fish is either a common plec or a gibbiceps and they both grow to over a foot long (the commons tend to slow down or stop growing at about 18"; gibbis around the two foot mark). I would say a 5'x2'x2' is a minimum size for these species.

Also, clown loach are very, very social; they should never be kept alone. They also grow very large, again around 18" and most people consider a six foot tank as the smallest suitable to maintain a group.

lol, it's really not. Most catfish and loaches are very long lived; 25 or 30 years is quite possible for these fish; I had a clown plec for around 20 years, and I have some catfish now, of various species, that are well over 17.

OP; I hope you have a very large tank? Your fish is either a common plec or a gibbiceps and they both grow to over a foot long (the commons tend to slow down or stop growing at about 18"; gibbis around the two foot mark). I would say a 5'x2'x2' is a minimum size for these species.

Also, clown loach are very, very social; they should never be kept alone. They also grow very large, again around 18" and most people consider a six foot tank as the smallest suitable to maintain a group.

The tank looks small on that it's actually 350gallons, the clowns are in a small school of 4!! The catfish is a bristlenosed pleco

The tank looks small on that it's actually 350gallons, the clowns are in a small school of 4!! The catfish is a bristlenosed pleco

That said it has been up and running for at least 14 years!!

There are 2 Malawi chiclids, female and male, the female gave birth so there are 3 Malawis now!! There are 2 Banded leporinus, pretty big now, bristlenosed pleco, 2 white angels, 4 clown loaches, 2 crebensis!

Oooh, that's a great size, awesome :) But clown loaches need more than four, and that's 100% not a bristlenose! No BN species grows to more than four or six inches, and your fish is much bigger than that! He/she's beauty :)

Malawis should never, ever be kept with South American fish; they need completely different water :/

Oooh, that's a great size, awesome :) But clown loaches need more than four, and that's 100% not a bristlenose! No BN species grows to more than four or six inches, and your fish is much bigger than that! He/she's beauty :)

Malawis should never, ever be kept with South American fish; they need completely different water :/

Yes he is amazing the catfish! I know there not aloud together but they don't bother each other [emoji23][emoji23]

5f6b9c4f0d73ec190b4d66ce25723aa6.jpg

5f6b9c4f0d73ec190b4d66ce25723aa6.jpg

And there's the red tailed shark

Okay... I'm sorry, but that's not a 350 gallon tank; more like 350 litres. My 5'x2'x2' is only 150 US gallons...

Yes he is amazing the catfish! I know there not aloud together but they don't bother each other [emoji23][emoji23]

It's not a matter of what's 'allowed', it's a matter of giving your fish what they need to live happy, healthy lives.

Fish have evolved over thousands of years to survive in certain environments, and keeping them in something different is going to have huge implications for their welfare.

If your water is hard, that's going to affect your soft water fish, and if your water's soft, that's going to affect the hard water ones. Harder water fish do extremely badly in soft water; much worse than soft water fish in hard water; their bodies have to work so much harder to expel all the excess water they pick up through osmosis that it leads to stress related illnesses, such as bloat, and eventually kidney and liver failure.

Perhaps it's just me, but I'm not finding any of this all that funny :(

Okay... I'm sorry, but that's not a 350 gallon tank; more like 350 litres. My 5'x2'x2' is only 150 US gallons...

It's not a matter of what's 'allowed', it's a matter of giving your fish what they need to live happy, healthy lives.

Fish have evolved over thousands of years to survive in certain environments, and keeping them in something different is going to have huge implications for their welfare.

If your water is hard, that's going to affect your soft water fish, and if your water's soft, that's going to affect the hard water ones. Harder water fish do extremely badly in soft water; much worse than soft water fish in hard water; their bodies have to work so much harder to expel all the excess water they pick up through osmosis that it leads to stress related illnesses, such as bloat, and eventually kidney and liver failure.

Perhaps it's just me, but I'm not finding any of this all that funny :(

Sad to hear this, the fish shop said it was fine, clearly not [emoji29] I'll take the angels back, any other fish that need 2 go??

The tank has a Juwel label on it, and Juwel's triangular tanks are called Trigon. They only make 2 sizes of Trigon, 190 and 350 litres which convert to 50 and 92 gallons.

The tank has a Juwel label on it, and Juwel's triangular tanks are called Trigon. They only make 2 sizes of Trigon, 190 and 350 litres which convert to 50 and 92 gallons.

Shall I take my whole tank back then?? Clown loaches need a bigger tank, angels can't go with malawis! Which fish go back??

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back