My Fish Died In Less Than 24 Hours

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

xMorox

Reaction score

I just set up my 1st aquarium, and after a week of letting the tank run, (filter, heater, starter drops) i added 5 espe Harlequin rasbord (chosen by a staff member of the pet shop who said these would be good starter fish) I entered them slowly and correctly and was totally happy with how they seemed to react to there new home! after maybe 6 hours I noticed the smallest of the 5, hanging around down the bottom on his own.. i thought he was being the brave one but suddenly he started acting very strange and then started to spin rapidly and bump into things. It gave me an awful fright and was really disturbing to watch. this lasted 3 mins or so and then he just seemed lifeless, very little swimming and floating about in the current. I went to sleep thinking I would certainly find him dead in the morning and when I woke, 2 had died!

I'm certain there is something wrong with my water but I just don't know what to do! Do I need to add some kind of bacteria etc? can I do this with the fish inside?

I have googled and googled but it's all very confusing? My 3 remaining fish seem very quiet and hang around the top corner of the tank not doing much, would you think they are going to die to?

Any help would be appreciated
thanks

Sorry to hear this, you are not the first who fell into the fish shop trap of adding fish to an uncycled tank. I was the same last year and there are many others here. Your fish are being poisoned by ammonia and nitrite.

You can save them, but you are now doing a fish in cycle. Have a read through the resource centre and you will learn about cycling. Pay special attention to the fish in cycle section. Link: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/277264-beginners-resource-center/

Basically, first of all do a massive water change, like 80 - 90% to take most of the toxins out and replace it with fresh, dechlorinated water. Have you got a testing kit? You need to get one asap.

Have a quick read through the resource centre please and we are here to answer any specific questions you have.

Sad to read about your fish - know how that feels.

I am going to ask, as everyone will too.

What size is your tank?
Did you use any test kits before the fish went in - if so, what were the readings.
Ammonia? Nitrite? Temp? PH? - and Nitrate, but probably not important at the moment.

Are you doing regular water changes?

Initial thought is that the tank has not cycled yet (normally takes 4-6 weeks) and you have most likely got lethal ammonia and/or nitrite levels.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back