My first aquarium

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

George R.

Reaction score
Hello I'm setting up my first aquarium and I have a ton of questions. I bought a 60 gallon tank on a black Friday sale at Pet'smart. I'm very excited to start this wonderful hobby.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If you contact your water supply company (via their website or by telephone), you can ask them what the general hardness (GH) and pH of the water is. This will help when it comes to choosing fish for the tank.

If you can tell us the tank dimensions (length x width x height) that will also help us advise you on suitable fishes for the tank.

Does the tank have a filter?
If yes, can you tell us the brand or post a picture of it?

Do you have a stand for the tank, and gravel, lights or anything else?

------------------------
There are several ways to start an aquarium. One is to have fish in the tank while the filters develop beneficial bacteria that keep the water clean. The other is a fishless cycle where the tank is run without fish for a month or so while the good bacteria develop in the filter. A fishless cycle is easier on the fish but it means not getting any fish for 4-5 weeks.

There is more info on fishless cycles at the following link.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

------------------------
Most fish health issues are caused by too much food and not enough water changes. The following link has some information about what to do if your fish ever get sick. It is pretty long and boring but worth a read when you get some spare time. I suggest printing it out and reading it in be to fall asleep.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

------------------------
If you go to the local pet shop, make a list of the fish and plants you like and then post them on here. We can go through the list and suggest things that are compatible.

If you have any questions, just ask and we will do our best to answer them for you. :)

Sorry it took so long for me to reply it's been a crazy week with Christmas and I just retired from my job.
I have not set up my tank yet (I'm going to do it after the holidays). My tank is 48"L 12-1/2"W 25" H the equipment I have got so far is a Penn-Plax Cascade 1000 canister filter; Beamswork EA Fspec Led aquarium light with timer module ,Python clean and fill system. I received a $100 gift card to Petsmart and a $40 gift card to Petco from the people I work with when I retired so I'm going to get the rest of the items I need after Christmas. I have been watching a lot of You Tube videos to learn all I can about the hobby ( I like Thomas at Big Al's and Cory at Aquarium Co op the best). The fish I'm interested in are Platies, Rasboras, Corydoras, Tetras, and Bristle Nose Plekos(I think that's how you spell it) and maybe 1 Angle fish when the tank is established and running well. I do have a question is it better to have one big heater or two smaller heaters? Once I get the tank set up I plan on running it for a month before I add any fist to it. Thank for any advice you can give me.

Hi and welcome! The biggest thing you will need, as Colin has said, is to get the tank cycled which means building up your beneficial bacteria. Please read everything you can on the nitrogen cycle. It will require a little more than just letting the tank run for a month. You can do a fish in cycle or a fishless cycle. I personally, recommend the fishless cycle. Some good reading is to read up on Dr. Timā€™s fishless cycle method. You can even order his ammonia to use as your ammonia source. Iā€™m getting way ahead here. Google ā€œDr. Timā€™s Fishless Cycleā€ You Tube video. It will explain a lot. Dr. Tim is great! Good luck. Weā€™re here if you have questions or need help.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome! The biggest thing you will need, as Colin has said, is to get the tank cycled which means building up your beneficial bacteria. Please read everything you can on the nitrogen cycle. It will require a little more than just letting the tank run for a month. You can do a fish in cycle or a fishless cycle. I personally, recommend the fishless cycle. Some good reading is to read up on Dr. Timā€™s fishless cycle method. You can even order his ammonia to use as your ammonia source. Iā€™m getting way ahead here. Google ā€œDr. Timā€™s Fishless Cycleā€ You Tube video. It will explain a lot. Dr. Tim is great! Good luck. Weā€™re here if you have questions or need help.
Hey , i made microworm feed , but that's not grow much, what was that ?

Iā€™m sorry. I donā€™t understand the question.

Most reactions

Back