My Filter/tank Is Cycled What To Do Now......

pdludbrooke

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My Filter is cycled 3ppm ammonia gone in 11 hours.

after 11 hours

0 ppm ammonia
0 ppm nitrIte
80 ppm nitrAte

What now, I have ordered plants should come Thursday, do I keep dosing ammonia every 12 hours ?
Do I need to turn the heat down ?
When I do the massive water change, when should I add fish and please help with that, below is a list of what I like, please can you recommend which will work and add to the list for me, in a bit of a panic here, all that waiting and suddenly it's time.

Tank is 100 litre 80 cm wide.

Fish I looked at in LFS and liked

Rasporas (galaxy)
scissor tails
guppies (blue)
praecox rainbows
Lace Gourami
indian giant gourami
Serpae
gold panchax
botia kubotia
kribensis
siamese flying fox

I agree. During your qualifying week you can slowly lower the temperature to get closer to the temp you'll want after the big water change and the introduction of first fish. The period when you are doing this can also be a fine time to introduce plants if you want. A new fishless cycled tank is a pretty stark environment for plants so many of us would begin our "low-light technique" set of processes for the plants at this time (making sure the light is maybe 1 to 1.5 watts per US gallon, adding Excel or another liquid carbon, adding TPN+ or a set of Flourish or other plant nutrients perhaps.)

I don't know how your stocking plan has progressed (usually this can take some weeks to work out with the members) so I am unqualified to comment about your current fish choices. Serpae can be pretty nippy if not kept in a minimal shoal of, say, seven or more... like other tetras (but more so in their case.)

~~waterdrop~~

Keep doing a dose every 24 hours until you are ready to add fish, not plants. When you want to add fish, do a massive water change to remove most of your nitrates and then go shopping for your fish.

Keep doing a dose every 24 hours until you are ready to add fish, not plants. When you want to add fish, do a massive water change to remove most of your nitrates and then go shopping for your fish.
I've been dosing ammonia every 12 hours since I cleared the ammonia and nitrites in 11 hous, your saying only every 24 hours ? Won't my bacteria die back ?

I've been dosing ammonia every 12 hours since I cleared the ammonia and nitrites in 11 hous, your saying only every 24 hours ? Won't my bacteria die back ?

Well done! :good: the wait is over :hyper: Now the fun bit; stocking and planting!

I did every 24 hours with my ammonia, at one stage doing every 36! So don't panic, every 24 is good - your bacs are there and maybe would appreciate a little rest between meals! The last ammonia dose went in 24 hours before my first fish...

I am now planning some plants, but going for easy maintainance low tech ones, in keeping with my decor i.e. spooky and dark!

Well done! :good: the wait is over :hyper: Now the fun bit; stocking and planting!

I did every 24 hours with my ammonia, at one stage doing every 36! So don't panic, every 24 is good - your bacs are there and maybe would appreciate a little rest between meals! The last ammonia dose went in 24 hours before my first fish...

I am now planning some plants, but going for easy maintainance low tech ones, in keeping with my decor i.e. spooky and dark!
Looks like I was a bit over kill ddsing ammonia every 12 hours whoops!!
They can have a break now.
I've ordered a load of plants from last-trading-post off ebay (thanks Tizer) no idea what I'll be getting, they say easy care so....will see.

One way to spot easy care plants is that they are dirt cheap compared to others. If they are easy for you to care for, they are easy for the grower too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back