My Fantail Goldfish Has A Bubble Under Her Tail

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

xfrozen

Reaction score
Posted in another section of the forum, but was told that someone may be able to help me here.

Hi,

I just went over by my fish, Marbles, and noticed that there is a bubble under the bridge of her fantail. At first I thought it could have been a water bubble just caught there, but when she swims around I can see that it's not see-through as a water bubble would be. This bubble is a beige-ish colour. It's a little bit smaller than a dime. She is behaving normally. This only had to have developed sometime today, as I never noticed it last night. I tried to get a picture of it but she won't stay still long enough for me to do so.

Any idea on what this could be? 

I googled and found a post on another forum about a fish having the same thing as mine, they were told that it's nothing to worry about if her behaviour was still the same and that it's probably just benign. Attaching a photo that is not mine - I got it from google - but it shows the same thing that my fish has.

Attachments

• DSC04492.jpg
    DSC04492.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 913
I'm sorry you haven't had an answer yet!

Growths in goldfish are difficult to diagnose and treat. I would just ensure the fish has excellent water, a large enough tank and a really good diet, and see how it goes for the moment.

Thanks, hopefully someone will respond soon! 

She is in a 29 gal tank all by herself. I monitor her water for ammonia/nitrates/nitrites regularly. Change half her water (siphon her gravel) every week (if I get the chance), if not every week it's every two weeks. Every 4 weeks I completely clean her tank. I change the filters every 2-3 weeks. She has two 20-40gal filters. 1 bubbler. I feed her "TetraFin Goldfish Crisps" and give her a treat every few days of "Omega One Freeze Dried Shrimp".

I would get her a bigger tank like a 55 gallon. You don't need to completely change her water ever as this is stressful. Keep doing water changes and monitor her for any behavioral changes. If she is swimming like normal and the only thing different is the bubbly tail then i would just leave it.

You must also stop changing your filters; by doing that you're throwing away all the good bacteria you need to eat the fish's wastes. Just clean the media (that's all the stuff inside the filter) with some old tank water to get the loose dirt off; don't overclean it.

If I am not wrong your fantail is very young and not bigger than 4 inches head to tail..  if this is the case thn 29 gallon is not a bad choice for now.. but u need to upgrade in future as she grows..

Please do not clean the complete tank and also do not change filters so soon.. Heavy water change may stress your fish.. and filter change will kill good bacteria.  Because this is the only fish you have in tank, so siphon gravel cleaning once in 2 weeks is good enough..

Only what you need to do is as follows...

• Keep doing partial water change (Note more then 30% in extreme case 40%) every week. Aquarist  aslo suggest for every 3rd or 4th day if possible for you.
  • Use tap water dechlorinated.
  • Give her good verity of food (flake, pallets, blood worms, green peas, cucumber and other green veg. The amount of food you give must be consumed within 3   to 5 mins.. after that time remove access food.
  • Do not give food at same time daily. Fishes are wild creatures and search for food all the time and whenever they get they eat.
  • As I guess your fish is small, give her multiple diet but small in quantity. If big then feeding once daily is a good idea.

You need not to bother much abut the bubble if your fish is swimming and eating well. If you wish you can use anti-fungus medicine only once. I use "Rid-All Anti-Fungus". You can talk to you nearest pet store for a good one available at your place.

Please let us know the progress.. All the Best....  !!

I forgot to mention that whenever you do siphon gravel cleen or once in 2 weeks during water change.. Clean your filter (do not change every time).
For cleaning you filter do not use fresh Tap water.. instead Clean your filter media in the aquarium water which you siphoned or take out during partial water change.
This will allow the much of good bacteria remain in the filter and once the filter is placed back to aquarium.. the bacteria will grow very fast.

All the Best ..!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back