My Discus Journal

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Even though I have no real interest in discus myself, its great seeing how the tank has developed, it looks wonderful.

lol cheers Star, its coming along, I;m really glad I painted the back and sides with the blue paint that was designed for when I was going to set it up marine, I think it really brightens things up and looks great with the wood and plants

Cheers Walkers but your too far away unfortunately as I;d love to have them, My old motor would guzzle about £300 of fuel to get there lol

Just been to LFS and picked up a few bits

As I did them a favour this week for free I got 5 very small hoplos I got 5 in hope that I will get a pair and I can move the rest on . Beautiful cats that have bags of character and are often active

I got a big red lotus plant in a pot and a big plant in a pot I think its something Ozelot

Anyway it would have cost about £40 but cost me a big fat zero you can;t beat freebies!!

what sort of favour simon i hope not sexual lol

ha ha no a legal letter saved them some cash I suppose with civil solicitors in our place and saved me some cash today

echinodorus ozelot by any chance? if so a lovley plant when it takes , i had 1 when my discus tank was planted .

echinodorus ozelot by any chance? if so a lovley plant when it takes , i had 1 when my discus tank was planted .
thats the inoe mate
too drunk too tyoe jut got llift home from the poliece chesper than a taxui!!!

Looking good! Told you the sock puppet wouldn't eat them :p. Funny how the don't do much unless they need air or there is food to be had. My tank is in a semi-public place and IDK how many times I have been talking to someone, then they are like "OMG! What the hell is that?!" Then they look at me like I'm crazy when I ask if they want to touch one :lol: . BTW I ever tell you yours looks like its male. I can't be totally certain with these pics, but he looks maleish... :unsure: Will be great to see him "eeling" amongst the discus especially once he grows a bit more. There is no tank where a sock puppet "fits in" lol. I quite like the interesting aspect they add to the tank. A lot of people miss them when they first look at the tank. When a 2 foot critter pops out that you somehow didn't notice it gives the tank a second look and more depth in a sense. I don't like my tanks being totally obvious.

cheers Mikaila
Hes a darling, infact I;m going to feed him in a bit, he gets bits and bobs when I feed the rest of them but hes a little slow, I like burying bits ofprawn near him and watching him find itin the sand

what do you feed yours? and what makes you think hes a male? I think of him as a male anyway for some strange reason :hyper:

Now I have more plants he spends a fair amount of time hiding in the java fern

:good:

I feed mine whatever. Lately they have been getting a lot of talapia (type of fish). Prawns work fine too. I do like to change foods up occasionally. Nightcrawlers are a good option as well, though with discus/angels you may find these a pain since my fish tend to drag them all around the tank. They can't physically eat them, but it doesn't stop them from trying. I generally break the worms in half. I give them so land based stuff as treats occasionally chicken and whatever. Best way to introduce them to a new food is to just shove it in their face. Often they will smell and nudge it around for a bit before actually eating something new. Mine do a lot of thrashing rolling around with worms for some reason. When I first got mine they did try to target my fish, they might of snagged one tetra. I believe though that this was more out of desperation because I don't believe the shop was feeding them properly and they were in a tank full of fish. On a proper diet these guys won't bother the smallest or dumbest of fish. Mine are so fat they could probably go a couple weeks with no food and still wouldn't touch the fish. Once they get desperate enough though they will, but are still not very successful. You have probably notice they prefer to be lazy critters. Yours sleep as much as mine right after you feed them lol?

I say he's male just cuz his head looks a lot like my males. The proper way to sex them though is from the other end :lol:.

thats the inoe mate
too drunk too tyoe jut got llift home from the poliece chesper than a taxui!!!

:rofl: :rofl: feeling a bit :sick: today are we?

been rough as toast all day mate, washed the car, changed tank water, tidied ironed anything to keep my mind off my banging head. Just off to the pub for a cup of tea as my mates back off rigs

I feed mine whatever. Lately they have been getting a lot of talapia (type of fish). Prawns work fine too. I do like to change foods up occasionally. Nightcrawlers are a good option as well, though with discus/angels you may find these a pain since my fish tend to drag them all around the tank. They can't physically eat them, but it doesn't stop them from trying. I generally break the worms in half. I give them so land based stuff as treats occasionally chicken and whatever. Best way to introduce them to a new food is to just shove it in their face. Often they will smell and nudge it around for a bit before actually eating something new. Mine do a lot of thrashing rolling around with worms for some reason. When I first got mine they did try to target my fish, they might of snagged one tetra. I believe though that this was more out of desperation because I don't believe the shop was feeding them properly and they were in a tank full of fish. On a proper diet these guys won't bother the smallest or dumbest of fish. Mine are so fat they could probably go a couple weeks with no food and still wouldn't touch the fish. Once they get desperate enough though they will, but are still not very successful. You have probably notice they prefer to be lazy critters. Yours sleep as much as mine right after you feed them lol?

I say he's male just cuz his head looks a lot like my males. The proper way to sex them though is from the other end :lol:.

cheers Mikaila
I;ll try the tilapia, I used to have a pair of them Mozambique mouthbreeders!! Your right about putting it in his face I just chuck it in his nose and he sometimes still doesn't go the right way

my new giant vallis came yesterday so thats planted now
heres some new pics
004-51.jpg

005-57.jpg

003-58.jpg

I;m very happy with the way this tank is going at the minute. As soon as I walk into the garage the discus and angels shoot to the end of the tank where I am near. They never stop feeding and putting some decent size on, looking forward to them being adults

Still waiting on the 40 cardinals I paid for a long time ago and Ross from Oddballs Express hasn;t replied to my email that I sent a week ago.

Future plans for the tank are to establish it as a planted tank, just started using flourish trace and excel to encourage the plants to do well. I will buy more plants, maybe add a couple more swords and some smaller plants for the front of the tank

I intend to add another 6 Cory sterbai, a pretty plec maybe an L200,L128 l264 or L18 or a couple of Royal Sturisoma if I can find any locally

I'm seriously thinking of removing the angels which are getting very big and very greedy and leave the discus as the focus. I may then add a couple more discus having a shoal of 8.

With my 40 cardinals going in it will look ace and I may even get a pair of apistos or rams in the future

Any suggestion or comments people may have over stock would be welcome

Simon

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back