My Cory's Are Hiding On Me!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Reeveso

Reaction score
Well my tank has been cycled for awhile now and I've been adding 1-2 fish per week. I'm now up to 5 spotted cory's and 1 Betta.

My light is kind of bright in my tank so I thought I'd get the Cory's something to hide in - so I went to walmart and got this big tree trunk thing with nice big holes in it.

The problem is...since I've gotten it the Cory's are ALWAYS in there. Whether the light is on or off, they just chill in there. I'm kind of disappointed b/c I wanted the Cory's to have a schooling type of fish so there was always activity in the tank.

By the way, my light is off a lot b/c they start squirming a bit when I turn it on and I feel as if I'm blinding them lol...should I be doing that?

Also, is it important to have Cory's in groups of even numbers so they can "buddy up" or is 5 ok?

the more the better with cory's, they shoal in hundreds in the wild.
Mine hide quite a lot in their cave, i do not see them much. that's just the way some cory's are.
If they have not been in there that long they may just need time to settle in longer to feel comfortable.

Do you have some pics?

Sometimes Betta will be poor tank mates for Corys. They can seem fine but be chasing the Corys when you're not around. Betta are territorial and Corys don't have a gene for territory.

That is why many of us keep our Corys in Cory ony tanks or tanks with only dither fish as mates.

On the other hand they may just be a very shy species. But all mine do come out when they feel secure.

Hmmm, maybe it's because of my Betta think - it's a security thing.

I have had the cory's for a few weeks and they were always pretty active, but since I got the last 2 (on tuesday) I've noticed the Betta following them around. I think he put up with it with 3 bettas but couldn't handle 5.

I'll have to put the Betta in a seperate tank I think.

Betta can be very unpredictable, ime. They are darlin and sleeping with the Corys one day and take offense the next and decide to chase them around. They are terrioial by nature. Different things can set them off. Sometimes it is just cranky old age--like my Yorkie. We love them because they are such individuals.

I would try taking him out and see how that works. But be warned, once Corys are frightened into hiding, it can take awhile for them to venture out again. My Brochis splendens were spooked by a Betta and it took maybe 3 months for them to come out and play again. Now they are swimming out in a large shoal constantly

Well, if my 2 male C. napoensis were doing a bit better, I'd send em over to teach the Betta a lesson. These guys don't take crap from no one (is that gooder English?)!

They'll chase my Zebra danios and large platties if they get in the way.

As for even or odd numbers of Corys, I don't believe it matters. If you're trying to breed them then usually the ratio is 2 males to 1 female.

You may want to give them additional hiding places other or in addition to a cave. The problem with a cave is, especially if it only has one opening, is that the water in the cave may not be as fresh as the water outside due to stagnation. It's not good to have a lot of them crowded in there at once. It's better to have a hiding spot that has good water circulation. But maybe I'm just being too anal about this.

Of course, it would be even better if they were comfortable enough to not need hiding spots...

Cheers.

I put a small shipwreck with openings in to my tank awhile ago and my cory was constantly in there. I was afraid he wasn't getting any food cos he never came out, but now he moves about alot and only goes in there occasionally. :hyper:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back