My Corydoras Pandas Keep Dying!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mebster

Reaction score
I first purchases 3, one of them died. So i got 2 more so that I had 4 in total. Another 2 died a a few weeks apart.

I've got a few guppies in the same tank and I have noticed the guppies seem to grab all the food (the corys are easily push away plus the guppies eat quick). But I've tried my best to ensure the corys get a chance by netting the guppies every few days.

A few days before the latest one died, I looked at the 3 and they seemed all active. Then I noticed one of them going paler and less active a day later and then it soon died. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I had some other type of corys a few years ago and they lasted ages. They're around £4 each so working out to be fairly expensive trying to keep a school of them as they keep dying. :no:

PS: how do you tell about the sex of these? Do shops normally sell them mixed?

Have you tried hikari tropical flakes.the corys will eat them and the guppies will leave them alone.

Have you tried hikari tropical flakes.the corys will eat them and the guppies will leave them alone.

i give my pandas Hikari Micro Wafers,
they are small enough for the adult pandas to eat at once

i used to have platys as well, but got rid of them as i was tired of them being selfish with the food.

Pandas are rather susceptible to poor water quality, whereas guppies are not.

Can you tell us a bit more about your setup please? I.e. what size tak, what filter, what other tankmates, what substrate you have, and any test results you have and how you maintain the tank with water changes etc.

PS: how do you tell about the sex of these? Do shops normally sell them mixed?

Panda Pair 4.jpg

This is a picture of a mature pair of C. Pandas. The female is the larger of the two. LFS will almost always sell groups of mixed gender corys. The problem you will run into is that frequently the sales help cannot tell them apart. Therefore, it's up to you to tell them which ones you want.

In that case, I ask the person to put the fish into a specimen container before they get bagged up. Then I pick out as many of the biggest corys as I want females. Then, have him/her go back and pick out the fish that look more slender; these are more likely to be males. Since you will then have them in a plastic specimen container, take it down and observe them from the top. If there's any doubt at that time, have them remove the questionable fish and replace it with another from their sales tank.

Obviously, it's to your advantage to make your selection soon after the fish are delivered to the LFS. As time goes by, they will sell what some people think are the biggest and healthiest ones but which are actually the females.

I know I asked this a while ago but most of my corys died so left the issue for a while. Now just purchased some more and also the food you guys recommended. Wanted to say thank you all. Fingers crossed the new few I got like the food and survive.

We bought 2 Pandas about 3 weeks ago and they both developed bacterial infections/fungus all over their bottom fins. It only took 2 days, even putting meds in, before they had succumbed. :( My experience with Pandas, is that they are extremely sensitive to dirty tanks. My mistake was that I decided to put them in an uncycled quarantine tank, which stressed them way too much.

The Hikari Micro Wafers arrived a few days ago and I have to say the corys seem to really love it. Best of all the other fishes seem to have a harder time spotting it if I make sure the stuff sinks right away. It's been a few days and the new 3 are still here which is a lot better than before. Might grab 3 more as 2 tend to stick together leaving one most of the time by itself. :sad:

Now I'm just thinking maybe I'll change the gravel but not sure what to. I saw some sand like stuff that was 2mm and another 3mm in size which looked cool or there was these small more natural looking stones which looked like these:
Q1_D99.jpg

Thanks again for all the help.

I would opt for sand every time with corys now,the difference in behaviour is amazing :good:

Its easier cleaning sand than gravel :good:

Its highly amusing watching my corys burying the noses deep into the sand,especially the albinos :lol: :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back