My corydoras are dying :(

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Well, snails in general eat organics which breaks it down faster so the bacteria can get at it more easily and rapidly.

But you want to be careful you don't overload the tank biological system with large snails. I don't know much about the larger species; I was thinking more of the small harmless snails like pond, bladder or Malaysian Livebearing. The latter is especially good at burrowing throughout the substrate looking for food.

I was looking at getting some snails today -how many do you recommend?

I now have a problem with the sand in my tank. I think it's too fine and it's going through the filter leaving my plants and wood covered in sand, how do you stop this?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 239
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 258
If you have problems in a fish tank, don't add anything new for at least a month after everything has settled down. Anything new being added to the tank should be quarantined for at least 2 weeks (preferably 4) so it doesn't introduce a disease and cause problems to the inhabitants that will be in a weaker state because of the previous health issue.

If the sand is being picked up by the filter you need to reduce the water flow in the aquarium. If you have a power filter you need to redirect the outlet so it is no longer blowing directly onto the sand. Try to have the outlet blowing across the surface. this will increase surface turbulence and help with gas exchange in the water.

If you can't change the filter outlet then put an ornament (plant, rock, wood) near the outlet to break up the speed of the water flowing into the tank. And put some ornaments near the filter intake or raise the intake up a bit so it isn't as close to the substrate.

You can also put a sponge on the intake to reduce the sand but that should be a last resort, and make sure you clean it regularly. You should also clean the filter and remove any sand in it so it does not cause damage to the moving parts.

I agree, and in addition would suggest you move the filter intake further up from the substrate. If the filter intake is 5-6 inches above the substrate, you will never pick up sand unless you deliberately stir it up in the vicinity, something you shouldn't do anyway.

As for snails, what type are you getting?

Thanks for the advice about the sand and filter. I moved the sand away from the filter last night and also put more water in to slow down the filter as I have a built in filter.

I would like to find some small Malaysian snail/s if possible

Thanks for the advice about the sand and filter. I moved the sand away from the filter last night and also put more water in to slow down the filter as I have a built in filter.

Good idea. Malaysian Livebearing snails, sometimes called Malaysian Trumpet Snails, are ideal in any aquarium. You only need one or two. These are rare where I live, but I found them in a hobbyist-owned store 9 years ago, and bought three I think. I now have hundreds. Your best helpmate in the aquarium.

If you dont have MTS your tank is not as clean as it could be.

The Malaysian Trumpet Snail is a great to have in any aquarium. There are some with different patterns, shapes, size, dark or light colored. It is a beautiful snail to see up close in person. In some forums as well as blogs the Malaysion Trumpet Snail is instead used as the acronym MTS.

There is a lot of bad rep that all snails have received. A lot of hobbyists tend to think that having any type of snail in their aquarium is horrible and all must be removed immediately. There are even chemicals that are solely meant for killing snails in the aquarium. I highly recommend that you never use any chemical meant to kill snails in a tank with shrimp. Snails are not bad for your aquarium. Overfeeding your tank is what causes snail outbreaks. Most snails will actually leave your plants alone and instead eat the algae off of the leaves as well as glass. Do not think that a snail is a pest, they can be extremely useful in any aquarium.

The Malaysian Trumpet Snail is actually a benefit to any aquarium for several reasons. It will not eat your plants at all. This snail also will not "muscle" your shrimp off of food meant for the shrimp. The Malaysian Trumpet Snail feeds on detritus and leftover food that is underneath the substrate. It actually burrows in the substrate and moves around throughout. You will rarely see this snail during the day. Occasionally it will emerge from the substrate. A cool thing is that sometimes you will see the substrate move and you will know that there is a Malaysian Trumpet Snail underneath doing its cleaning duties.

http://www.planetinverts.com/malaysian_trumpet_snail.html

why on earth would you want those awful things in your tank?
They are a pain in the *&^. They breed profusely, can't be killed unless you strip the tank down and boil the gravel, and don't do anything useful.
If you want to clean the substrate, use a gravel cleaner.
If you have left over food in the tank, modify your feeding regime or put other types of snail or shrimp in there.

If you want snails get Mystery/apple snails or Ramshorn snails, they are both much easier to control and at least you will see them.

Oh please stop it.

They breed profusely,
No they do not, Ok they do but only if they have food. once all the food in the tank is consumed they die off to what the tank can sustain.

MTS also burrow thru the substrate turning it over releasing trapped gases and such, They are a planted tank keepers best friend.

No they do not, Ok they do but only....
lol your a funny one Nick :)

if you want Maylasian livebearer snails then get them. Personally I hate them because I use to breed fish and they were nearly impossible to get rid of or control.

MTS also make great free live food for fish.

why on earth would you want those awful things in your tank?
They are a pain in the *&^. They breed profusely, can't be killed unless you strip the tank down and boil the gravel, and don't do anything useful.

Nothing could be further from the truth than the last phrase here.

If you want to clean the substrate, use a gravel cleaner.

You (the aquarist) can absolutely never do cleaning of the substrate as well as Malaysian Livebearing Snails. They get places you cannot, eating all organics (fish excrement and any other organic matter) which breaks it down faster for the various bacteria.

The number of snails even when fish feeding is minimal only proves the biological fact of just how much organic food is available in an aquarium. These snails are a beneficial part of a healthy and natural biological system.

Well thanks for all the advice about the snails!! I can't seem to find them in the shops over here. They only seem to have the mystery snails (yellow ones). I got one of these but when I actually find a Malaysian Livebearing snail I can take my yellow one to work as we have an aquarium there with goldfish and another type of catfish maybe. I like the idea of the malaysian livebearing snail.

most shops in Australia won't carry malaysian livebearing snails because they hate them, and it's against the law to sell them. They are a noxious species. If the shop has power filters or trickle filters, the snails get in and damage the impellor and shaft. And if customers see the snails they don't necessarily want them. And if the customer gets them in their tanks, they get upset with the shop because they have to stuff about to get rid of them.

most shops in Australia won't carry malaysian livebearing snails because they hate them, and it's against the law to sell them. They are a noxious species. If the shop has power filters or trickle filters, the snails get in and damage the impellor and shaft. And if customers see the snails they don't necessarily want them. And if the customer gets them in their tanks, they get upset with the shop because they have to stuff about to get rid of them.

Ok so do you have any snails and if so what type??

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back