My corydoras are dying :(

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Good to know about never feeding before a water change!! I always feed them after. I've had my cories for at least 4 months and only really feeding them algae wafers so maybe it was due to their diet?

So I went to the pet shop anf got persuaded into buying these sinking wafers but I got some blood worms too

I would get some shrimp pellets though, they contain important ingredients not in the pictured wafers. Omega One is one of the best brands.

Could it be Coryfood will get out of reach in the substrate ?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

Could it be Coryfood will get out of reach in the substrate ?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

This is certainly worth considering. Large-grain substrates such as the pea gravel type pictured here do inhibit the breakdown of organics. Sand is a better "bed" for all the various species of essential bacteria in a substrate that will better handle organics. Snails also help by breaking down large bits faster so the bacteria can better deal with them. And bits of food could cause ammonia more than normal.

This is certainly worth considering. Large-grain substrates such as the pea gravel type pictured here do inhibit the breakdown of organics. Sand is a better "bed" for all the various species of essential bacteria in a substrate that will better handle organics. Snails also help by breaking down large bits faster so the bacteria can better deal with them. And bits of food could cause ammonia more than normal.

Those big yellow snails?

Those big yellow snails?

Well, snails in general eat organics which breaks it down faster so the bacteria can get at it more easily and rapidly.

But you want to be careful you don't overload the tank biological system with large snails. I don't know much about the larger species; I was thinking more of the small harmless snails like pond, bladder or Malaysian Livebearing. The latter is especially good at burrowing throughout the substrate looking for food.

Well, snails in general eat organics which breaks it down faster so the bacteria can get at it more easily and rapidly.

But you want to be careful you don't overload the tank biological system with large snails. I don't know much about the larger species; I was thinking more of the small harmless snails like pond, bladder or Malaysian Livebearing. The latter is especially good at burrowing throughout the substrate looking for food.

Would one snail be ok? I'll have a look today. Also see the pictures below to see the change in my tank.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 365
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 368
I would get some shrimp pellets though, they contain important ingredients not in the pictured wafers. Omega One is one of the best brands.

I went back to the store and also to a different one and they didn't have the Omega One brand

I like the change with the sand, cories will love it/you.

You might find Omega One foods online if not in a local store. I've no idea if Omega One is available in Australia. Many of us recommend this brand because the ingredients include whole fish, and not meals/cereal bindings which are not that good for fish. New Life Spectrum is also good quality, but they don't make a shrimp sinking pellet/tab.

So I went to the pet shop anf got persuaded into buying these sinking wafers but I got some blood worms too
Cool. I don't know what you feed the tetra but if New Life Spectrum is available I feed the micro pellets. I feed enough for the corys to get some too and they love it. You have to experiment with the quantity but I do it so about half of what I put in reaches the bottom without being eaten by the tetras and then the corys get to work on whats left.

Update: I have been doing water changes and feeding my cory blood worms and those wafers. This morning I checked on him and he was still alive but I tried to find him tonight and I couldn't find him in his usual hiding place. I had a bit more of a look around and found him floating dead in a corner I don't know that was wrong with my cories but my neon tetras seem to be fine!! I'll do another water change tomorrow but I'm not really sure of the reason they all died!

Could the last one be stressed about his mates dying on him? That's since the ammonia levels were back to zero again?

Cool. I don't know what you feed the tetra but if New Life Spectrum is available I feed the micro pellets. I feed enough for the corys to get some too and they love it. You have to experiment with the quantity but I do it so about half of what I put in reaches the bottom without being eaten by the tetras and then the corys get to work on whats left.

I feed my tetras micro pellets

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    369.6 KB · Views: 335
Sorry to hear the little guy didn't make it. Don't despair, chances are the damage was already done and it sounds like you have been following the advice received here. For now you should focus on the continued health of the tetras and not replace the Corydoras until the new tank is ready for them.

You have been focusing on Ammonia but Nitrite is also poisonous so keep testing for both. If you do have either its best to feed too little rather than too much. The tetras will be fine if you only feed them every 2 or 3 days and that will help lower the organic waste that the filter has to cope with. FWIW its always better to err on the side of underfeeding than overfeeding.

Were you able to examine your Cory for any signs of disease / infection? Its easy to assume the problem was originally water quality but as Byron says, diagnosis is very difficult - especially remotely. I'd hate for you to inadvertently transfer some kind of infection / infestation over to the new aquarium when the time comes - but I'm really not too clued up on diseases.

I agree, continue monitoring and doing water changes as needed, do not add any new fish. This may have been an initial cycling problem.

Many things cause stress to fish, and stress weakens the immune system so fish will become more susceptible to other disease issues that they would otherwise be able to fight off. Reducing stress is therefore key to healthy fish. This means having stable and good water conditions.

That's how I fed my cories some of the time, extra food from the tetras. I have noticed I do overfeed my tetras but I only feed them once every 3 days

Update: I have been doing water changes and feeding my cory blood worms and those wafers. This morning I checked on him and he was still alive but I tried to find him tonight and I couldn't find him in his usual hiding place. I had a bit more of a look around and found him floating dead in a corner I don't know that was wrong with my cories but my neon tetras seem to be fine!! I'll do another water change tomorrow but I'm not really sure of the reason they all died!

Could the last one be stressed about his mates dying on him? That's since the ammonia levels were back to zero again?

It is more likely, in fact probable, that the last survivor was affected by the ammonia too. Poisoning by ammonia or nitrite affects the fish's physiology and they do not ever recover. Some will die quickly, others survive, but they are seriously weakened and then succumb to other issues they would otherwise be able to fight off or have a shortened lifespan. Any form of stress that is critical does this, as well as the ammonia itself (or nitrite when applicable), so that is a double whammy so to speak.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back