My Black Skirt Tetra is sick! Pleas help!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

TheSoggyBagel

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I need help! A few months ago I rescued a black skirt Tetra from my uncle, who kept him in a 40g with barely any water (5-10 gallons of water actually in the tank), no heater, and he hadn't cleaned the tank in 6 moths. The fish hadn't been fed for one. When my uncle finally took down the tank, he decided he would get rid of the fish (he wanted to flush him down the toilet!). I couldn't let that happen! So I used cycled filter media, and quickly set up a 10g and brought him home. Yes, I know that 10g is small for Black skirts, but it's all that's available to me. And because I'm still young and live with my parents, I can't get an upgrade. Anyways, I think the fish was sick from the beginning. He's always had a strange growth on his lip and film over his eyes. It didn't seem to affect his behavior, so I figured he would be okay. I recently added 3 more black skirt tetras, with the intention of adding 2 more. Unfortunately, today I came home and saw that he was looking worse than ever and has torn fins! Are the other fish picking on him? Is this severe fin rot? Please help!
Also, because I know people will ask, I checked my water and everything is perfect for black skirts.
Thanks for helping!

Could you post the actual numbers from all your tests, please; and do you know the pH and hardness of your water?

Most reactions

Back