My Betta tank filter modifications

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Phil Fish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Here are a couple of short videos showing what modifications I did to help slow down the output stream from my Top Fin HOB filter on my 5.5 gallon tank.

First shows the water bottle attachment at the output spout. This helps dissipate the water to the sides. The humming noise is not from the filter but from my refrigerator next to the aquarium. The filter is actually quite noiseless.

Here you can see the Fluval foam pre-filter I have on the intake tube. This not only helps filter the water but reduces the intake slightly.

These two mods plus keeping the flow control adjusted to minimum seem to work to reduce the amount of output flow. My two concerns are...

1: Is this putting a strain on the filter motor since the Top Fin filter instructions say the flow adjustment knob should be set to wide open.
2: By having such a slow flow is this negatively affecting the gallons per hour of water being filtered?

So far it's working fine though.

I actually like that tank, I would like it more it that was all real plants but its not bad and the light level seems perfect.

As long as water is flowing through the filter, it will be cooling the motor and stopping it from overheating.

Having a slower flow rate will mean it takes a bit longer to remove ammonia from the water. However, if water is flowing slowly through filter media, the bacteria have more time to eat any ammonia so more ammonia gets removed with each litre flowing through the filter, and that helps to balances itself out.

Your tank is also small so reducing the flow rate by half is unlikely to make any real difference.

Last edited:
I actually like that tank, I would like it more it that was all real plants but its not bad and the light level seems perfect.

Thanks! The crappy video quality doesn't really do it justice plus my apartment is very dark and gets hardly any natural sunlight.

After I recorded this video I removed the floating plastic plants for fear of Phil damaging his fins on them. So far he hasn't but I don't want to take the chance. They were from the dollar store. Now only plastic plants and a moss ball for aquarium use are in there. I also moved his ornaments a bit so he can easily swim around them. Before they were more or less tucked against the tank walls.

Because of this change Phil is swimming around flaring at stuff...like he swam up to the foam intake sponge and flared at it briefly...lol. Yes... he's the boss. He is happy now he has more swimming area. :)

I want to get real plants but the river rock substrate isn't the best from what I understand for planting. I suppose I made a mistake there in using rock as a substrate.

Last edited:
As long as water is flowing through the filter, it will be cooling the motor and stopping it from overheating.

Having a slower flow rate will mean it takes a bit longer to remove ammonia form the water. However, if water is flowing slowly through filter media, the bacteria have more time to eat any ammonia so more ammonia gets remove with each litre flowing through the filter, and that helps to balances itself out.

Your tank is also small so reducing the flow rate by half is unlikely to make any real difference.

Ok that's good to know. Thanks!

When I tested his water using a test strip his water parameters were ok. I intend on getting a real test kit this week.

You can get a floating plant called Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta). It is a really good plant for Bettas and most other fish and can be grown on the surface or planted in the substrate. It grows rapidly and easily and has long stems and big leaves for the fish to hang out in.

You can get a floating plant called Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta). It is a really good plant for Bettas and most other fish and can be grown on the surface or planted in the substrate. It grows rapidly and easily and has long stems and big leaves for the fish to hang out in.

Oh ok that sounds ideal. What kind of maintenance does it need or can I just let it grow? I know some water plants need Co2 added and some don't.

Individual Water Sprite plants will grow bigger and as they grow they produce baby plants on their leaves. The baby plants eventually break free and grow on their own. Most people just leave it to grow over the surface and thin it out when it gets too much. If you get too many on the surface, plant some in the gravel and they will grow into a lovely light green shrub.

Sometimes HOB filters will push the plant down into the water and you can make a loop out of plastic hose and tie it to a suction cup on the glass. The plants go inside the loop and it stops them being knocked about by the filter outlet.

All plants use carbon dioxide (CO2) when they get light. However, there is lots of CO2 in the tank and not really any need to add more. CO2 gets into the tank through the water surface, from the fish breathing and from the filter bacteria, which produce huge amounts.

If you want to add a liquid iron based fertiliser (available from pet shops) you can, but Water Sprite does not need it. Just give it water and light and let it go. :)

Most reactions

trending

Back