My betta sleeps all the time? Dangerous?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ledahbear

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I got my Male Veiltail Betta around halloween in 2016. His name is Hallo. When i got him we put into our old ten gallon tank. His tank is filtered, heated, and he has a bubble thing as well as a thermometer. Around February we got him a tank mate - a juvenile butterfly loach who we call Loachie. They get along great! (Also, we are looking for a bigger tank before Loachie gets big, but right now he is very small.) Since about March however, Hallo has done nothing except sleep in the leaves of his live plant? He is still alive, he wakes up to eat and swim for about five minutes then he just goes back to the plant and sleeps.

At first i thought it was because his later might be too hot or cold, but his temperature is where it is ideal for a betta. We do often water changes, so his water is always clean as well. His fins are also going from orange to blue, but we assume thats genetic because he does that often.

Please help, we've tried everything with him. :c

A few questions. How often and what size are your water changes? What are your parameters?

On a different note, I'm not sure about the compatibility of those species, and I'm pretty sure that the butterfly loach requires much more than 10g. Its growth may be stunted if it is in too small a tank. But, a more experienced person could probably give you more information.

butterfly loach
AKA Hillstream Loach.

These guys need special care, they need a tank with a fast moving current or they have problems breathing they also prefer cooler water , while Bettas do not like any current and want warmer water.

Can you please provide a Photo of the tank and the betta?
How strong is the current in the tank?

Please read this.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/beaufortia-kweichowensis

Most reactions

trending

Back