My Betta Needs Help With Bubblenest

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LJEV

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi my betta is having problems forming a bubble nest I've put half a polystyrene cup in and he's trying to blow the bubbles but they just keep popping is there anything I can do to help.
I'm sure this question has been asked a lot.
Ps I know it's common to asked if people are prepared for betta fry so just to let you know I am
I have 20 separate tanks which are all segregated into 10 so 200 separate compartments and I also have a supply of microworm and bbs but at the rate he's going it won't get that far.

I envy you! You are one of the few people that have actually mentioned how many tanks you have set up for all the fry! I think people on here will love you for that! About the bubble nest, maybe he just needs a little practise?

Cheers,
Alessa!

Maybe try turning the water flow down.

Does he have any tank mates? Also, try using some floating plants, like Water Sprite. It helps calm the water and makes it easier for him to build a succesful nest.

Does he have any tank mates? Also, try using some floating plants, like Water Sprite. It helps calm the water and makes it easier for him to build a succesful nest.
No other tank mates and I have floating plants and not much water flow
Things are progressing slowly but I think he's getting there. I suppose it's like the wife asking me to make the bed in a morning, I'm slow but eventually I'll do it :rolleyes:
I hope it's a successful breed as the are both lovely fish
I'm sat here watching them as I post this
Phoenix really hasn't got a rush in him

No other tank mates and I have floating plants and not much water flow
Things are progressing slowly but I think he's getting there. I suppose it's like the wife asking me to make the bed in a morning, I'm slow but eventually I'll do it :rolleyes:
I hope it's a successful breed as the are both lovely fish
I'm sat here watching them as I post this
Phoenix really hasn't got a rush in him

Well it took my Male Kokoro a couple of weeks to build a nest. So maybe it'll just take time.

Pictures of your bettas and the process would be nice :fun: You could do a journal.

OOOH! I'll be following this journal!

Cheers,
Alessa!

not really much you can "do" aside from cutting the flow. He will get better at it with practice. He will just have to keep building. One big reason we condition them ahead of time-so theyve got enough resources to maintain that sort of activity level. i imagine its not easy blowing all those bubbles, picking up eggs/babies for days on end.
so long as he has had a nice diet ahead of time, he should be fine with the nest. just lots of work for him is all.
all the best!
cheers

not really much you can "do" aside from cutting the flow. He will get better at it with practice. He will just have to keep building. One big reason we condition them ahead of time-so theyve got enough resources to maintain that sort of activity level. i imagine its not easy blowing all those bubbles, picking up eggs/babies for days on end.
so long as he has had a nice diet ahead of time, he should be fine with the nest. just lots of work for him is all.
all the best!
cheers
Thanks
Your right You don't really think about how hard it must be for them to maintain that level of work when theyve just been used to lounging around the tank. He seems to be getting better at the bubbles now. It was so frustrating watching him at first, he would blow about 10 bubbles then watch them pop then would seem to look at you through the glass thinking hhhmmmmmm ??? You just want to do something to help him along.
But I'm well aware that fish have been breeding on their own for a long time before we got involved.
So it just a case of patience. :good:

i find i keep the water only 50% full and cling film with holes in on the top to keep it humid helps alot :) or almond leaves

im taking it as you know what your doing you have almond leaves

i find i keep the water only 50% full and cling film with holes in on the top to keep it humid helps alot :) or almond leaves

I do have the Indian almond leaves that help spawning.
Just using a thin cotton cloth stretched across the top of the tank ( should keep the air humid and it also produces quite a nice dull light for them.
When you assume I know what I'm doing this is my first time trying to breed bettas I've just ( after been told by various members on here ) not rushed into things and done as much research as I can.
Also listening to other members I'm aware that it doesn't always go to plan, so I'll be over the moon if I get it right first time. I'm documenting everything I'm doing so if it does go wrong I can hopefully see where it went wrong. I will post results on here ( good or bad )
Thanks for advice

Just using a thin cotton cloth stretched across the top of the tank ( should keep the air humid and it also produces quite a nice dull light for them.
When you assume I know what I'm doing this is my first time trying to breed bettas I've just ( after been told by various members on here ) not rushed into things and done as much research as I can.
Also listening to other members I'm aware that it doesn't always go to plan, so I'll be over the moon if I get it right first time. I'm documenting everything I'm doing so if it does go wrong I can hopefully see where it went wrong. I will post results on here ( good or bad )
Thanks for advice
i realised i sounded patronising it wasnt ment to. i bred bettas for 3 years before i moved onto a barge i understand how people act towards new breeders i still get it now.
:look: if you need a hand give me a shout the only thing i do struggle with is tail types in females lol

we all have to start somewhere :)

Thanks for advice
i realised i sounded patronising it wasnt ment to. i bred bettas for 3 years before i moved onto a barge i understand how people act towards new breeders i still get it now.
:look: if you need a hand give me a shout the only thing i do struggle with is tail types in females lol

we all have to start somewhere :)

My fish is having similar issues, but there is currently a female in the tank our goal was not at first to breed but it seems now that it is unavoidable :) we are getting prepared for fry and such and doing tooooons of research but he can't seem to build up his nest at all just blowing bubbles in vain.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back