My Betta is sick and I don't know what to do

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TyTyTheHistoryGuy

Reaction score
Hi! I got a Betta about two weeks ago and put him in a 10gal aquarium with a filter and a heater. The tank was uncycled, which I now know is a big 'no', but I have a liquid test kit and have been testing it daily for nitrites and ammonia. My ph is a 7.5 and the temp is at 85. I tested the water an hour ago and noticed it had an ammonia reading of 0.25 ppm. I immediately did a 75% water change with conditioned, temp regulated water.

Now on to my problem. For the past few days my Betta has been laying at the bottom of his tank or on the heater, tilting sideways. He does this strange curve when he does swim, like he is bending his face to his tail. I'm very worried about him as he had fin rot when I got him. He also doesn't eat much, but when I fed him a single frozen pea (heated in the microwave for 30secs in conditioned water from his tank, shelled and cut up) he ate a lot of it. Does anyone know what I can do to help him? I'm pretty scared and don't want him to die.

You could try slowly dropping the temperature down to around 80. Are you still reading ammonia and/or nitrites? If so, one possibility would be to add the water conditioner Prime, which will help lessen the toxicity of the ammonia/nitrite. Is he still showing signs of the fin rot?

the temp is at 85.
Why is the water temp so high?

Can you please answer the following questions.

How big is the tank?
Has it got a heater? What is it set to?
Has it got a filter?
How strong is the current?
Is it cycled?
How often do you change water?
How much water do you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate?
What additives or chemicals do you use? Eg De Chlorinator?
Do you use tap or bottled water? If bottled water please give us the brand.
Do you have a water test kit?
Can you tell us the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
When you clean the tank can you tell us exactly what you do.
What do you feed him? how much? how often?
Any tank mates? What sort how many?
How long have you had the Betta?
Has he got a history of illness?
Any plants or decorations? Please give details?
Can you provide a close up photo of the fish?
Can you provide a photo of the tank?

Why is the water temp so high?

Can you please answer the following questions.

How big is the tank?
Has it got a heater? What is it set to?
Has it got a filter?
How strong is the current?
Is it cycled?
How often do you change water?
How much water do you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate?
What additives or chemicals do you use? Eg De Chlorinator?
Do you use tap or bottled water? If bottled water please give us the brand.
Do you have a water test kit?
Can you tell us the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
When you clean the tank can you tell us exactly what you do.
What do you feed him? how much? how often?
Any tank mates? What sort how many?
How long have you had the Betta?
Has he got a history of illness?
Any plants or decorations? Please give details?
Can you provide a close up photo of the fish?
Can you provide a photo of the tank?

The tank is 10 gallons, it has a heater that is set to 80, and the tank is at 81 (I set it so high to help with any diseases, but lowered it when I realized it got up to 85), the current isn't too strong, and the tank is not cycled. I change the water when I notice the ammonia or nitrites are too high, I change 50-75% each time and do vacuum the gravel. I only use API Stress Coat. I use tap water and have a liquid test kit that has recently measured the ammonia as .25ppm and the nitrites as 0ppm. The nitrate is at 0ppm. I feed him Blood worms (just 2-3 little bits, enough that he can finish it in five minutes or so)every other day and on the days he doesn't get them he gets API Betta food (2-3 pieces). He has been ignoring all food lately though, and has last eaten three days ago. He is in the tank alone and I have had him since the first week of January. He has a single large skull in his tank, that he hides in often. I am unable to post pictures, the server is saying they are too large to be included.

You could try slowly dropping the temperature down to around 80. Are you still reading ammonia and/or nitrites? If so, one possibility would be to add the water conditioner Prime, which will help lessen the toxicity of the ammonia/nitrite. Is he still showing signs of the fin rot?
As far as i can tell, no he has not. I'm a bit cautious about using Prime as I have heard it is unsafe to lower ammonia with chemicals.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back