My betta is aggressive at night... kinda

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Should I remove the tetras, they might not be in much danger.

• Nah, observe more.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

J CZA

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just got four bloodfin tetras today, and my male betta seamed to get along with them. But when I was going to bed he was attacking them. It was kinda dark in the tank. I want to know if I should return the tetras of wait and watch.

You need to separate the tetras from the Betta now, for a couple of reasons.

First, male bettas are not community fish. I know there are those who have risked their fish by trying this, and they think it works, but it generally will not last. Only yesterday I posted in another thread to help a member who had a Betta in with tetras for three years (so he said) and suddenly they turned on each other and the beta's fins were nipped off. Betta should be on their own, always.

Second, the tetra you have, Bloodfin, is notorious for fin nipping other fish. Once the bloodfins get settled, they will begin acting normally, which means going after the beta's fins mercilessly. The Betta may get in the first bite, but if this doesn't kill them they will kill him very shortly.

This tetra is not one you want in most community tanks aside from the betta issue.

Thanks, I will fix this. Im out rn so ill do it later.
You need to separate the tetras from the Betta now, for a couple of reasons.

First, male bettas are not community fish. I know there are those who have risked their fish by trying this, and they think it works, but it generally will not last. Only yesterday I posted in another thread to help a member who had a Betta in with tetras for three years (so he said) and suddenly they turned on each other and the beta's fins were nipped off. Betta should be on their own, always.

Second, the tetra you have, Bloodfin, is notorious for fin nipping other fish. Once the bloodfins get settled, they will begin acting normally, which means going after the beta's fins mercilessly. The Betta may get in the first bite, but if this doesn't kill them they will kill him very shortly.

This tetra is not one you want in most community tanks aside from the betta issue.

Thanks, I will fix this. Im out rn so ill do it later.

The store should take them back as you only got them yesterday. If you did keep them, they need a group of at least 8-9 and as I said they are known fin nippers.

The store should take them back as you only got them yesterday. If you did keep them, they need a group of at least 8-9 and as I said they are known fin nippers.
Ok thanks

Yea, I have the whole week off, so ill keep an eye on them.

ill keep an eye on them.

You need to take them back to the store as soon as it opens.

Byron didn’t mean “get some more and see if that helps” he put that info in case any one searched for Bloodfin tetras and stumbled across this thread - it was general info about how they should be kept rather than a way to solve your current issues.

You need to take them back to the store as soon as it opens.

Byron didn’t mean “get some more and see if that helps” he put that info in case any one searched for Bloodfin tetras and stumbled across this thread - it was general info about how they should be kept rather than a way to solve your current issues.
Ok, thanks. I have an extra tank.

Yes, sorry if I may have not been clear. Just to be certain...the Betta must be on its own in the aquarium. If you want Bloodfins, in a different tank, they need a group of 8-9 minimum, and that would be a 20g (preferably long rather than high) tank for them. No other upper fish without a much larger space. Substrate fish could work.

Yes, sorry if I may have not been clear. Just to be certain...the Betta must be on its own in the aquarium. If you want Bloodfins, in a different tank, they need a group of 8-9 minimum, and that would be a 20g (preferably long rather than high) tank for them. No other upper fish without a much larger space. Substrate fish could work.
Ok, ill remove them when i get home. I tave to sort things out. Thank you guys so much, honestly my parents are probably getting edgy about me getting all into fish. But ill put them in a 3 gal for now, ill get another tank soon.

Ok, ill remove them when i get home. I tave to sort things out. Thank you guys so much, honestly my parents are probably getting edgy about me getting all into fish. But ill put them in a 3 gal for now, ill get another tank soon.

We want to help you as best we can, so another bit of advice. Return the bloodfins, don't put them in a 3g tank intending to get a larger tank. Many of us once thought likewise, but things can impact the intention to get a larger more appropriate tank and it might not happen. Or it might be too far down the road and the poor fish suffer and die in the meantime. Space is very important to fish.

We want to help you as best we can, so another bit of advice. Return the bloodfins, don't put them in a 3g tank intending to get a larger tank. Many of us once thought likewise, but things can impact the intention to get a larger more appropriate tank and it might not happen. Or it might be too far down the road and the poor fish suffer and die in the meantime. Space is very important to fish.
Yea, i could also return them, there is only four tetras.

Yea, i could also return them, there is only four tetras.

Please do return them, they and the betta will thank you for it.

In the future it would probably be better to do a lot of research before buying fish. Make sure you can provide what they need immediately. As Byron says the “I’ll get a bigger tank later” theory doesn’t usually work!

The best place to do fish research is seriously fish - it tells you everything you need to know :good:

Please do return them, they and the betta will thank you for it.

In the future it would probably be better to do a lot of research before buying fish. Make sure you can provide what they need immediately. As Byron says the “I’ll get a bigger tank later” theory doesn’t usually work!

The best place to do fish research is seriously fish - it tells you everything you need to know :good:
Thanks, Do you think a female betta sorority would work with the tetras. I can get a bigger tank. Of not ill return them.

To echo what Byron said: Bloodfin Tetra and Betta won't work in the same tank - ever.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back