My Betta has gone mental!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JohnathanSt

Reaction score
Hi All. Hopefully you can help me.I have a small fish tank homing my betta fish and some neon tetra. For over a month now they have all co existed and were best of friends. For some reason my Betta, over the last few days, has decided to go full on psycho. He wont stop chasing the tetra around the tank and has became very aggressive. For now the tetra are to fast for him but its only a matter of time before he gets one.

Is there any reason why he may have changed his mood towards them?
Is there anything i can do to stop this from happening apart from removing him from the tank and putting hum up for adoption
What will happen if he catches one, im assuming he will eat it?

Thanks again for any advice here. the last thing I want is to a. allow a killer to eat my poor tetra and b. remove my betta from the tank as they used to get on very well

Bettas are temperamental - they are best kept alone, if you are to keep them with other fish it's always wise to have a back up plan in place for instances like this. You could try redecorating the tank and reintroducing the Betta but i doubt it will make a difference. You're best off getting the Betta a tank for himself 5-10 gallons will be sufficient. Neon tetras aren't really suited to Betta's as they can be nippy and their active nature is likely to stress a slow swimming fish like a Betta.

How big is the tank? depending on its size it may be too small for the Tetras. Your Betta sounds perfectly normal too me.

Personally I would re home the tetras and keep the Betta, But then again I love Bettas.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back