My angel fish has started turning yellow?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cod_N_Chips

Reaction score
Is this normal, I have black and white striped angel fish and have see before that their stripes fade and darken however today it has turned yellow.

Need abit more information on tank size how many fish and which type, test result in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph, any flicking and rubbing on objects, any heavy breathing, the yellow does it look like dusting on the fish, also you can get a gold to yellowlish dusting.

the tank 20 gallons and the angel fish are new about (4days old).
There is another angel fish who is fine and this is the smaller of the two that is ill. We have a few algae eaters and platy's & guppies.

There is no sign of rubbing on other objects.

Ammonia, Nitrate & Nitrite levels are all low.

PH is around 7.5.

It does not look like a dusting.

Going pale is a sign of stress, going dark can indicate a bacteria infection, can you shine a torch on he yellow area to see if it glows up, do it with the tank light off, are the gills red and inflamed or pale.

This tank has been running for around about 6 weeks now. I have just re-tested the water today.

PH 8
Nitrates 60mg/l
Nitrites 0.1-0.25mg/l
Ammonia - Approx .1mg/l

5 Platy's + 4 fry, 4 Tetra's and 4 Guppies, 3 algae eaters but i cannot remember the species sorry.

Bad water quality, you havent finnished the cycle, i would do a water change to fetch the nitrites below 20 anything above is fatal to fish.

I think Wilder made a typo in her last post. The nitrAtes are too high, and I've always gone by they should be below 40 ppm (which i think is the same as mg/l). Also, you should never have ammonia or nitrite in your tank, as these are stressing your fish out. Definately begin doing daily water changes, and you should see your fish perk up pretty quickly.

Make sure you are using dechlorinator, and don't change out more than 25% at a time.

Wilder, the gills have a slight red tinge to them but do not look inflammed.

Thanks for your help, I will do some daily water changes for a while. We only use dechlorinated water.

That could be due to cycling the tank, as high nitrites can cause red gills, i would watch out for any signs of flicking and rubbing and heavy breathing.

Silver or zebra angels change color depending on wether they are stressed, happy, or seemingly for no reason. Without a doubt yours are stressed due to the ammo, nitrite & nitrate readings. 25% daily water changes until they drop.

There are a lot of fish in that tank for a 20 gallon. You better consider relocating some, as 20 gallons is the bare minimum for 2 angels. Sounds like as good a reason I can think of for getting a larger tank.

Tolak

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back