My All Red Cherry Shrimp Died

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

milindsaraswala

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 7 gallon tank with white Italian sand, One drift wood, 1 heater Kept on 22 C and filter with air pump.

I bring first 4 red cherry shrimp from them within a week 1 died than 1 more than I bring 2 more but one by one all died.

So I change my pet shop and I bought 6 Taiwan Red fire Shrimp they too all died. They are too costly. My tank is established from last 3 months.

In life cycle of all shrimp, I found that they never eat food I tried to add flak food, I tried to add food goes to the bottom of the tank. I was changing water every week 50%.

I most big thing I found very tiny transparent warms and also dot like insects in my tank on the corner and on the gravel.

Shrimps are too costly. So this time don't want to bring any shrimp before proper research and make my tank ready for shrimp.

So guys only who have proper experience and professional advice me. What Should I do before bringing new shrimp and how much time I should wait

Hope I will get good advice

Hi

First a few questions,
What are your water parameters? PH Ammonia Nitrate Nitrite ,Shrimp are very sensitive to poor water conditions?
How are you acclimatizing the shrimp to your tank conditions?
Is the tank cycled?
Any other tank mates?
What do you condition your water with, Eg Seachem Prime.
When you change water, do you vacuum the substrate?
The answers to these questions will give us a better idea of what could be wrong,

I most big thing I found very tiny transparent warms and also dot like insects in my tank on the corner and on the gravel.

Any chance of a photo?

Do the worms look like this?
detritusworms-TN.jpg

These Detritus Worms are normally not a problem and often go un-noticed aiding in breakdown of wastes while living in the gravel or filter media (such as sponges, bio balls, etc.). In fact these worms are generally beneficial in aiding in larger waste breakdown, as well these worms can even be a healthy food source for fish.
However when the population explodes these worms often leave the gravel and cling to the sides, usually close to the surface as oxygen depletion due to the cumulative effects of increased organic mulm, cloudy water and simply too many Detritus worms drive them from the oxygen poor gravel.
http://www.fish-as-pets.com/2007/11/planaria-detritus-internet-answers.html

I had similar experience with different varieties of shrimp. Check your water harness and (GH) and (KH). If your water is very soft the shrimp will not be able to molt properly and will die. I have also read that water that is too hard will also cause issue. And one person on this forum lost his shrimp and later found he had high KH due to one rock he added to his aquarium. Tetra 6 in one 1 strips do test for KH and GH. If your gh is less than 50ppm it might be too low for the shrimp

with shrimp you don't feed flakes, you feed them algae wafers (accasionally) but I suggest some plants because that's basically what they live off of

I rarely feed my shrimp, they live in a tank that has a fair bit of algae, some plants and a lot of rocks, so the tank has lots of surfaces for biofilm to grow on and my shrimp are doing great feeding on this.

Large water changes aren't good for shrimp. Most of what I've read suggests 10% every 2 weeks at most, certainly not 50%

but I suggest some plants because that's basically what they live off of

Things like Java moss.

Rcs imo handle wc the best. They like dense big plants too. Large cyrpts and java ferns are good too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Large water changes aren't good for shrimp. Most of what I've read suggests 10% every 2 weeks at most, certainly not 50%

Uh Oh... what about if you keep shrimp with fish? I keep just two little shrimp (amano/sunkist) with my endlers and ottos and do 50% wc weekly. Does that mean my shrimp are unhappy?!

I had major problems with my shrimp tank when I first set it up- started with 40 was left with 9.
anyway, long story short I change 25% of week aged conditioned water weekly (try saying that ten times!) and feed them on a variety of foods.

Most of the sites I've looked at recommend smaller water changes for shrimps. They also recommend dripping the new water into your tank so the properties of your tank water will change very slowly rather than all at once. I think a lot will depend on your tap water. Many shrimp keepers use RO water but thats a step to far for me.

Most of the sites I've looked at recommend smaller water changes for shrimps. They also recommend dripping the new water into your tank so the properties of your tank water will change very slowly rather than all at once. I think a lot will depend on your tap water. Many shrimp keepers use RO water but thats a step to far for me.
Ive read that as well. But standbysetting is right too. I know alot of people do 50 percent changes. I think like most things its hard to compare one persons tank to another. One key im a believer in typically the more mature tank the better imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I think a lot will depend on your tap water. Many shrimp keepers use RO water but thats a step to far for me.

RO water IS NOT suitable for shrimp. I know this from my own experience. I am using RO water. When i tried shrimp they all died. I then tried remineralizing the water and they all survived. It is way too soft and your shrimp will not be able to molt. RO water must be remineralize before it is put into the tank. If however you do very small water changes the the fish food alone will eventually harden the water enough that the shrimp might survive. Also if you are using raw RO water slowly adding it to the tank would be necessary to avoid GH, KH, and PH shock.

Note: I do 50% water changes with remineralized RO water. I do not drip it in. Also when adding shrimp I just check my GH, KH, and PH. Once the bag has adjusted to temperature I open it and let the shrimp find there way out into the tank.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back