Musk Turtles?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

deanoce

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,
After a big disease outbreak in my 230l tank, one black neon was left and he has been moved to my quarantine tank while i get the big tank sorted.
I have wanted to keep turtles for a while but never really got round to it, and now everything in the tank is bare I thought I might look into it.
Does anybody know whats necessary to care for Musk turtles? (or even a good care sheet?)
Also can these turtles live with other tropical fish?
Thanks, Deanoce

Hi all,
After a big disease outbreak in my 230l tank, one black neon was left and he has been moved to my quarantine tank while i get the big tank sorted.
I have wanted to keep turtles for a while but never really got round to it, and now everything in the tank is bare I thought I might look into it.
Does anybody know whats necessary to care for Musk turtles? (or even a good care sheet?)
Thanks, Deanoce
I have several turtles though not musks. Basically the answer is NO turtles should not be kept with fish because
1. Sooner or later as turtles grow bigger they will eventually kill and eat any fish they can catch. Fish too big to swallow whole will still be badly injured by turtles' sharp beaks.
2.Turtles are VERY messy, 100 times worse than common plecs! The water quality just wouldn;t be acceptable for healthy fish.I feed my turtles in a separate tank to try and keep their main tank relatively clean and hygenic but even with a powerful 1200l/hour filter I still do almost 100% weekly water change.

Having said that I would say go ahead and get them, turtles make great pets,You can always keep fish in another tank as I do.The Turtle Rescue centre doe an excellent Beginners Guide for new turtle owners and they offer free advice on care and feeding too.You can get the guide from www.turtlesquad.co.uk

Hi all,
Thanks, Deanoce
I have several turtles though not musks. Basically the answer is NO turtles should not be kept with fish because
1. Sooner or later as turtles grow bigger they will eventually kill and eat any fish they can catch. Fish too big to swallow whole will still be badly injured by turtles' sharp beaks.
2.Turtles are VERY messy, 100 times worse than common plecs! The water quality just wouldn;t be acceptable for healthy fish.I feed my turtles in a separate tank to try and keep their main tank relatively clean and hygenic but even with a powerful 1200l/hour filter I still do almost 100% weekly water change.

Having said that I would say go ahead and get them, turtles make great pets,You can always keep fish in another tank as I do.The Turtle Rescue centre doe an excellent Beginners Guide for new turtle owners and they offer free advice on care and feeding too.You can get the guide from www.turtlesquad.co.uk

Thanks for the advice, im definitely going to look into keeping turtles, and thanks for the link :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back