Reaction score
img0476kd.th.jpg
">

img0472.th.jpg
">

img0469g.th.jpg
">

http://img130.imageshack.us/i/img0476kd.jpg/ - better viewing

2 musk turtles, 3 guppys, 4 Platys and 2 'stone-suckers' (as they were labelled at lfs).
All fish (Apart from 'stone-suckers') are offspring from my small tropical aquarium, I know turtles can and will eat fish so they are just in with
overload of livebearing offspring. So far they have shown no interest in the fish, hope it stays that way.
There is a heat lamp over the floating dock for them to bask if they wish (but they don't much).
Lots of live plants to use to rest on and eat.
Currently in a 60L but looking to upgrade to a 300ltre with lots of different levels and branches.

Anyone got any ideas on how to improve the set-up or thoughts?

img0476kd.th.jpg
">

img0472.th.jpg
">

img0469g.th.jpg
">

http://img130.imageshack.us/i/img0476kd.jpg/ - better viewing

2 musk turtles, 3 guppys, 4 Platys and 2 'stone-suckers' (as they were labelled at lfs).
All fish (Apart from 'stone-suckers') are offspring from my small tropical aquarium, I know turtles can and will eat fish so they are just in with
overload of livebearing offspring. So far they have shown no interest in the fish, hope it stays that way.
There is a heat lamp over the floating dock for them to bask if they wish (but they don't much).
Lots of live plants to use to rest on and eat.
Currently in a 60L but looking to upgrade to a 300ltre with lots of different levels and branches.

Anyone got any ideas on how to improve the set-up or thoughts?

Wow, I love it!
I've seen musk turtles at my LFS and they're certainly cute when they're small! :lol:
How long do they stay that size?

It should take upto 2-4 years to reach there full size, which is only between 4/5.5 inches.
They are great to watch, lively buzzing around the tank, into everything.

It should take upto 2-4 years to reach there full size, which is only between 4/5.5 inches.
They are great to watch, lively buzzing around the tank, into everything.

A little too big for me, but they sound like some very interesting little pets! :good:

It looks good, I suggest more plants, terrapins love plants, and although they can destroy them it will offer a more natural habitat.
They may not be eating the fish now, but they will soon enough, my musk was vicious and his fav food was hunting live ramshorn snails.

It looks good, I suggest more plants, terrapins love plants, and although they can destroy them it will offer a more natural habitat.
They may not be eating the fish now, but they will soon enough, my musk was vicious and his fav food was hunting live ramshorn snails.

There are around 30 live plants in there at the moment. I buy them in 20's let them eat some then replace.
Not all musk catch fish to eat, intact most are too slow, but there is always that chance hence why I'm not buying fish, just using
Offspring that would normally be ate in normall tank.

There fav food is bloodworms and krill

I have a musk turtle, I wouldn't mind seeing better pictures of your set up.

How you do plan to him it into a 300l?? I'd worry about the depth, they aren't the best of swimmers.

I have two, one of which likes floating around and doesn't appreciate swimming too much, but the other just loves having a swim. (Like all animals, they are individuals, some do like swimming and some don't).

So I aim to start over on one side of the tank and make a graded drop in level, using slate, bogwood and pebbles/rocks.
Leaving a shallow end and a deep end, that way they have the option. Lots of plants for them to hold onto and rest on as well.

What's your set up like?

Musks are a real climbing turtle so lots of branches/driftwood reaching up out of the water would make it a much more suitable setup,

Also they aren't a basking species so your dock is a waste of time IMO and will only be used if they become ill or as a last resort if they are exhausted and need to rest.
Again the Heat lamp is pointless for these and would be more benficial if you simply replaced the current lighting in the hood to a bulb that has a 2% or 5% UV rating.

Thanks Davo86, In there next set up there will be no dock, just lots of bogwood and branches sticking up out of the water.
There is lots of conflicting information about basking some say it's a must, some say it's a waste of time.
So I thought I'll give them the opportunity while they are hatchlings and by the time I set up their permanent home I'll know what their own preference is.

I've ordered some small bits of bogwood for this current set up as well.

Davo86 - What age would you suggest sexing becomes possible?

Thanks for your input.

tbh both images to me suggest they are struggling to climb to the surface, in both they seem to be clinging on to give adequate time to surface,
Musks can cling for ages at a time with just their heads poking out of the water

Also to answer your question above sexing before they have finished growing is virtually impossible as the thickening of the tail (on the males) is one of the last things to happen in the turtles growth cycle.

Edit: ref the basking area, a UV bulb overhead would still be more effective than a heat lamp IME

tbh both images to me suggest they are struggling to climb to the surface, in both they seem to be clinging on to give adequate time to surface,
Musks can cling for ages at a time with just their heads poking out of the water

Also to answer your question above sexing before they have finished growing is virtually impossible as the thickening of the tail (on the males) is one of the last things to happen in the turtles growth cycle.

Edit: ref the basking area, a UV bulb overhead would still be more effective than a heat lamp IME

The tank has a UV bulb in the lid already (have removed lamp now).
As the pictures were taken they were catching blood worm and clinging on whilest eating.
There will be more places for them to climb and rest soon as I have ordered 3 more pieces of bogwood, so hopefully that will help.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back