Murky Water!!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

idlegabble

Reaction score
Hello all, I am wondering if anyone knows why my tank is suddenly clouding up? It has always been crystal clear and I haven't changed anything. It has almost become milky, well, translucent but with a foggy white tinge to it. I am wondering what to do with it? if this is something I can fix and if it is :( harmful to my fish.

My ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all at 0, 20 gallon tank with betta, 8 neon, one african dwarf frog and :wub: 3 mystery snails, no real plants, all materials are aquarium things, pea sized gravel....

Thanks for your help... ;)

I have been surfing around and I think it is a bacteria bloom.... I have added my bubble wand for extra oxygen and will take 2 days off of tank feeding, then try to feed less for awhile. My tank doesn't get any direct sunlight so it cannot be the lighting. Is this the right thing to do and how long should it take to resolve itself? Ang

I think you are on the right track :rolleyes: Do a change of water and give it a couple of days.

HiYa and welcome idlegabble. Yep sounds like a bacterial bloom - nothing to worry about ;)

How long has it been set up as this is quite common after cycling.....

And whats your maintenance schedule like?....

:)

I've been thru this few weeks ago during cycling. Not only is the water milky-like, but it smell real bad too!! But it'll b ok eventually. And now the smell's gone too!

i thaught it might be bacterial bloom but i dont think it would be so severe unless ure over feeding.

Hey wetwetwet! My tank was set up just under three months ago, but because I completely seeded it with used gravel and filter it cycled to 0ammonia, nitrite and nitrates in about 10 days or so. I change 8-12 litres of water every 2-3 days and every other weekend do a light vacuming of the gravel and a 30% change. Once in a while I do a deep down (only twice so far) clean of half the gravel. Thanks for the help everybody, things seem okay in there today and there doesn't seem to be more white stuff! Hopefully it is clear again soon. ... Thank You all!!!

Most reactions

Back