Muppy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Debbie_19

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Looked into my tank this morning to find a little baby fish swimming about happily. And throughout the day I have found another two of them. About a month back I seen my male guppy trying to bread with my female molly, didn't think much of it but now these fry have appeared. The only things in the tank is 5 neons, 2 male guppies and a female molly. I have had all of them for about 7 months so I know she couldnt of been pregnant since I bought her and have never had any fry from her before. So I am assuming that these are a mix between the molly and the guppy. They look like molly fry but have slightly longer fin tails than normal.

Anyway I managed to catch them and put them into a breeding trap and they seen to be feeding happily on crushed flake food for the moment. Just thought i'd share this with everyone cause they are my first fry even though I have heard that alot of them don't survive i hope they do. :rolleyes:

cool.
care for them as much as u can, as this has been attempted before ( although well dun for achieving it naturally, rather than selective breeding) and the resulting fry have been weak.

oh congrats on the muppies, again would love to see pics, keep us updated on their progress :good:

Will do. I will try and get some pictures. I think they are from a dalmation molly and a half black guppy (he looked like the one who was more interested in the molly.lol) At the moment they are quite big actually. Not far off 1cm I would say. I can see a few tiny black specs but they are mainly like a goldy clear colour.

Will try get some pictures.

My muppies werent weak at all. In fact on of the 3 survivors live's in a 5 gallon hexagon with no water conditioner!!!!!!( not my tank)

If you have not had a male molly in with the females for several months then this could be a good chance of being a cross, but have to had any babies from her before?

The crosses are very weak fish and a very high maintenance needs to be taken to get them to adult hood

But please got some pics of the fry and try if possible to get weekly stages of the growth as this would be very interesting to watch.

If you have not had a male molly in with the females for several months then this could be a good chance of being a cross, but have to had any babies from her before?

The crosses are very weak fish and a very high maintenance needs to be taken to get them to adult hood

But please got some pics of the fry and try if possible to get weekly stages of the growth as this would be very interesting to watch.

No I have never had a male molly in with her, and i have never had any fry from her before. I will try and get some pictures if they get a little bigger. The tank is in quite a dark area of my house and they light in the tank isn't the greatest so at the moment the pictures aren't coming out too good as they are so small, but mabey once they get bigger they will get easier to photograph.

I will update this every week with there growth.

At the moment - Only 1 or 2 days old

Biggest of the three about - 9mm long

Other two about - 7mm long

they seem to be quite see through at the moment with big black eyes. They have a gold tinge to them though and I can see some very small black spots on them. There tail looks slightly longer than i would expect for a molly fry so I am taken they get that from the guppy. As I said mabey next week when the are a little bigger i will be able to get some photos if they manage to survive that long.

Is there anything I should be feeding them to mabey increase their survival chances? I have just been feeding finely crushed flake food yesterday since i wasn't really that prepared for fry.

Hopefully there tank water should be fine as the tank they are in is very very mature and been running for about 5 years. Tested the tank and there is no ammonia and no nitrites and only 10ppm nitrates which comes from my tap water. I have been adding some aquarium salt to the water too.

Hopefully at least one of them will survive but i will keep you all updated.

Crushed flake if fine i use it all the time.
But as with all fish newly hatched brine shrimp is the best food.

they seem to be quite see through at the moment with big black eyes. They have a gold tinge to them though and I can see some very small black spots on them. There tail looks slightly longer than i would expect for a molly fry so I am taken they get that from the guppy. As I said mabey next week when the are a little bigger i will be able to get some photos if they manage to survive that long.

I have noticed that, all the molly crosses i have seen( 2 different batches), have had lyretails. Some here who knows alot about gentics( i know a little), might want to figure out why.

Excuse my ignorance here...but is this actually possible?

They are live bearers but are they related?

Thats like having a hheep...ya know human + sheep!! Nasty baby there!! :)

As I said...excuse my ignorance!! :p

Guppies and mollies are geneticaly very simular and are in the same genus, this is like lions and tigers different but possible
How ever neither will cross with platy's or Swordtails as their a different genus i.e. rabbit's and Hares, as they they are simular but impossible to cross.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back