🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Flossybean

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ph 7.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20
Mrs guppy hugs sitting on the substrate gasping. She was scratching her fills against the plants so I've treated the tank for gill flukes. All the other fish are happy.
Any advice welcome.
Thanks

My guppies sit on the bottom of the tank to rest so that is normal. If she’s scratching, then she may have parasites.

Hmmmm she isn't moving though and is struggling to swim.

What do you mean by struggling. Is she wiggling back and forth? Mine does that.

Livebearers that swim but don't go anywhere are shimmying. this is usually caused by soft water and protozoan infections (which are more common in soft water).

Check the general hardness (GH). You want a GH of about 200ppm for guppies, platies & swordtails, and a GH of 250ppm for mollies.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

If the tank is more than 2 months old then clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media in a bucket of tank water.

---------------------------
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate will affect some plants. The lower dose rate will not affect plants.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that.

My GH is 197 i have guppies, platys and corydoras. I had treated the tank with NTlabs anti- fluke and wormer.
Will the corydoras be ok with salt?

Livebearers that swim but don't go anywhere are shimmying. this is usually caused by soft water and protozoan infections (which are more common in soft water).

Check the general hardness (GH). You want a GH of about 200ppm for guppies, platies & swordtails, and a GH of 250ppm for mollies.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

If the tank is more than 2 months old then clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media in a bucket of tank water.

You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate will affect some plants. The lower dose rate will not affect plants.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that.
I also have fry in there, will the salt harm them?
Thanks

This level of salt will be fine for all fish. Just follow directions on how long to keep it in the tank as mentioned in post 6

Colin one of my other guppies now has a small amount of fungus, will the salt cure this aswell?

If you use enough salt it will help with minor fungal infections. If it doesn't improve after 24 hours with salt you will need a fungus remedy from the pet shop.

if fish are getting fungal infections then they are being damaged by something and have physical injuries that is allowing fungus in. You need to find out why they are being injured and fix that to stop more fish getting fungus (assuming that is what it is).

If you use enough salt it will help with minor fungal infections. If it doesn't improve after 24 hours with salt you will need a fungus remedy from the pet shop.

if fish are getting fungal infections then they are being damaged by something and have physical injuries that is allowing fungus in. You need to find out why they are being injured and fix that to stop more fish getting fungus (assuming that is what it is).
I can't imagine how he would have hurt himself, i haven't any ornaments just plants, round pebbles and bog wood. Only other fish are platys, corys and guppies.
I've put some protozin in there today.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back