Moving to bigger tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jeremey1000

Reaction score
Hello,
So I have a 29 gallon with a single gold fish (kids first fish who has lived for about 5 years now), two blood parrots, a dragon eel and the king of the tank, a clown knife who has had a major growth spurt and is about 12" now. The tank seemed to suit things just fine while they were small but its definitely time to upgrade. I talked my in laws out of their 55gal that they were no longer using. It's still not the size I want but it will have to work for now.
So I have did some research and found out that as long as I am transferring the water, filter, plants, decorations, and gravel from the old tank that I do not have to wait to cycle the new tank. Now, I know I should not add any new fish to the tank for a few weeks to let the tank stabilize but does that rule apply to new plants? I havent seen anyone talk about that aspect. Thanks in advance for any info you share with me!

You only need to use the old established filter on the new tank to have an instant cycled tank.

You can add plants and sand/ gravel from other tanks if you like, they don't make any real difference.

Basically set up the new tank with gravel, water, ornaments and plants. Add dechlorinator and allow to circulated/ aerate for 48 hours, then move the old filter onto the new tank and add fish.

If you don't want to wait 48 hours then fill the tank up with the old water, add fish and filter then top up with clean water that has been dechlorinated.

Good on you for getting a bigger tank, but I'm surprised that Colin hasn't pointed out that its still far too small for the fish you have. A 12" fish needs at least 200 gallons to be comfortable. I don't expect the 55g tank is more than 12-18" wide so the fish will only be able to swim from left to right in your tank...

The Red Parrots aren't small fish either and can get up to 8-9" in size. I don't know much about Dragon Eels but I thought they preferred slightly brackish water.

In summary, you've got fish that aren't really suited to the tanks you've got and aren't really suited to be placed together. On the one hand you've got a coldwater goldfish and on the other a fish that prefers some salt added to its tank.

You really need to decide what you're trying to keep and stick with that.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back