Moving Home & Cyanobacteria (How To Kill Two Birds With One Stone)

VisVisVis

Reaction score
Hello, 

I have a little conundrum that I thought I would ask the experts about. I will be moving home this week, and wanted to get some advice on how to move the tank and also try and kill the Cyanobacteria at the same time. If I advise my plan, perhaps one of you lovely people could tell me how to go about it the right way if mine is all wrong:

1. Empty tank completely, throw away old gravel, clean ornaments etc
2. Fish and filters transported to new apartment (filters will be kept in old tank water, will this increase risk of bringing Cyanobacteria along?)
3. Clean tank and dry (whats the best way to do this?)
4. Transport tank
5. Put in new gravel and plants and add HS Aqua Bactoturbo
6. Put in fish (after acclimatising to new water) 
7. ?????
8. Profit

The fish (and amphibians) I have are 5 x clown loach, 3 x khuli loach, 10 x neon tetra and 2 x african dwarf clawed frogs.  

The Cyanobacteria has been around for a little while, I clean every week but it keeps coming back. I am hesitant to add chemicals to remove as am unsure how this will affect the frogs. 

Thanks everyone, I'm still a bit of a noob with all this so your advice is really appreciated! 

I've just had a little search on the forum for previous discussions on this that I know I've posted on but I can't find any. So I'll try and remember what I had to say from before! :)

The thing to remember is that Cyanobacteria isn't really an Algae but a bacteria which you need to make sure you treat to get rid of it properly. Excessive light can be a cause as well as having anaerobic conditions so you need to look at the causes as much as anything to make sure you eliminate it.

What you need to do is make sure there is good flow in the tank around the areas where the cyno is growing and consider getting some ferts for the tank. I was using the EI method and double dosed for a little while. It started to struggle and eventually died off. I also had a wavemaker/powerhead running to keep the flow up in my tank.

You might be lucky due to the move that it will die off during that but it might still hang around so be prepared for it!

What size is the tank? What filter do you have running in it and how long are the lights on for?

Lunar Jetman said:
I've just had a little search on the forum for previous discussions on this that I know I've posted on but I can't find any. So I'll try and remember what I had to say from before!
smile.png

The thing to remember is that Cyanobacteria isn't really an Algae but a bacteria which you need to make sure you treat to get rid of it properly. Excessive light can be a cause as well as having anaerobic conditions so you need to look at the causes as much as anything to make sure you eliminate it.

What you need to do is make sure there is good flow in the tank around the areas where the cyno is growing and consider getting some ferts for the tank. I was using the EI method and double dosed for a little while. It started to struggle and eventually died off. I also had a wavemaker/powerhead running to keep the flow up in my tank.

You might be lucky due to the move that it will die off during that but it might still hang around so be prepared for it!

What size is the tank? What filter do you have running in it and how long are the lights on for?

Thanks for getting back to me. I have the Juwel Rekord 800 (110ltrs) with the standard Bioflow Super 400 set. The water flow is aimed directly at the area the cyno grows already. I normally have the lights on from around 10:00am to 5pm. I'm hoping that when I add new gravel/plants and also moving that it might cure the problem.. Will my fish adapt to a complete water change when I move? Everything will practically be like a fresh set up, so Im hoping it wont make them sick. 

Thanks again 
smile.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back