Moving help.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ItsDinoChips

Reaction score
I am dreading moving my tank. I do not know any proper ways to move it. My mother suggested getting half the water out, removing ornaments and leaving the fish in the tank to move it. Like a big water change where I fill it when I get there. But I do not feel safe doing it that way. Is there any better ways?
Another thing. I am treating my tank with aquarium salt and water changes due to my black mollie getting popeye. I dont know if that changes anything but its worth mentioning just in case.
The drive is about 5 or less minutes depending on traffic. Its 10 gallons stocked with 4 mollies and 1 gourami. Recent popeye situation has made me test everything and it all seems normal levels. This is an image of my tank currently.
PS I'm moving in one week and I'm so scared to move this thing. x.x
20190516_211958.jpg

Last edited:
Never move an aquarium with water or anything else in it because it will break.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week before moving. This will clean the tank up and make it less messy when you do move.

If the filter is established (more than 2 months old), clean that a week before you move.

Do not feed the fish for 24 hours before moving.

-----------------
On the day of the move, drain the tank water into a couple of big buckets. You want to keep at least 1/3 of the water if possible. Put the fish into the buckets of water. If you have catfish or loaches, put them in different buckets to the other fish so they don't spike anyone.
Put an airstone into each bucket with the fish.

Put the filter materials into a bucket of tank water with an airstone. Rinse the filter case out and put it somewhere safe.

Remove the gravel and put it in a bucket.

Empty the tank completely and rinse it out with tap water. Dry the outside and put it in the car on a couple of towels, a thick blanket or some foam so the base is cushioned.

Put the gravel, filter and everything else in the car. Turn the air pump off and put the buckets of fish in the car and drive to the new location. Set the tank back up and top it up with new water.

Don't feed the fish for the first 24 hours after moving.

Monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels for the next few weeks.

Ok so I just cleaned the filter during the whole popeye incident. Check.
I am doing water changes every day anyways due to popeye. Check.
And I only have one five gallon bucket for a 10 gallon tank but in order to not overflow it can only hold about 4 and 1/2 gallons. Is that enough water to put the fish in and then reuse that water?
Would I be able to remove any decorations now and pack them for the move, then the day of remove the gravel and filter?
I can leave some small plants in so they had still hide from each other.
Another question. I only have one airstone and pump can I just put the filter at the bottom of the bucket with the fish? And hold it down with magnets on either side? I have one more small bucket for gravel and ornaments if they cannot be removed early.

Don’t move with water!! Lol!! It will break just like that!

I agree with everything @Colin_T said, just make shure the buckets are clean, and the water is conditioned. So there are only 3 fish in total? You should should be able to put them all in one bucket. :)

Don’t pack the decor now. They contain beneficial bacteria. Put them in tank water while moving to keep bacteria alive. When moving, keep gravel in tank water too to preserve bacteria. You can purchase battery operated air pumps if you like but since move is so short it’s not necessary. Good luck!

Yes, when I moved up to Kentucky, it took 2 days to drive!! I had to put them all in Buckets and buy batterie powdered air pumps. :)

Thank you all for the advice. One bucket I am going to have the fish (@PheonixKingZ I have 5 fish in there 4 mollies and 1 gourami), the secured filter so it can't move around and hurt anyone and the air pump. The other bucket I am going to put gravel and any remaining water with the ornaments.
The fish bucket has a lid anyways but I heard some where that gouramis may either jump or spit water sometimes. The other bucket does not have a lid and will have to be held on someone's lap on the way with maybe ceranwrap over the top.

Am I missing anything or should I be good?

buy a couple more buckets.

the gravel will weigh heaps and probably break the bucket if you try to put it all in one bucket.

the ornaments should be packed separately, especially if they are ceramic.

make sure the bucket with the fish has a lid.

do not put the filter in the bucket with the fish when they are in transit because it can slide around and squish the fish. Put the filter in a separate bucket of tank water when driving to the new place.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back