Moving gourami question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

cowgirluntamed

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So, my blue 3 spot gourami is still in my 20 gallon by himself except one mystery snail and Malaysian trumpet snails. I haven't gotten the 55 gallon up yet but I've finally found some one to buy my extra aquarium supplies I didn't want so I will be able to get the aquaclears and the hood for it soon.

Then it will be plants. I may have to buy those in stages.

Anyway....I was planning on adding the gourami into the 55 completely last. However I may not be able to get the other fish as soon as I'd like to. But...I've got 7 peppered cories now plus one bristlenose. Once the plants have settled, I would add them first. Then I could get some harlequin rasboras from petsmart and quarantine them for a while (6 weeks probably). Then add them. Then the gourami. The other two tetras (black phantom and pristella) I will have to order online.

Is it OK to add those tetras later so the gourami doesn't have to stay in the 20 since it's really a bit too small for his full size?

This somewhat depends upon the temperament of the gourami. Sorry but I've forgotten from past threads about this, but if this gourami has been a problem, that will continue, and he could tear into the tetras. If there is any suggestion of a bad temperament, the gourami can remain in the 20g, alone.

This somewhat depends upon the temperament of the gourami. Sorry but I've forgotten from past threads about this, but if this gourami has been a problem, that will continue, and he could tear into the tetras. If there is any suggestion of a bad temperament, the gourami can remain in the 20g, alone.

I've never had him with any other fish so far. Just the snails. He is actually less stressed than he used to be when the mystery snail wasn't in there. Rarely glass surfs now. The snail gives him something to look at. Now, he does pick on it a bit but not majorly most of the time. The snail does keep his antennae in during the day but I've seen them out at night. The gourami also picks at the mts some too. I think it's more curiosity and boredom than aggression. He goes all over the tank and doesn't guard anything from the snails. So I think his temperament is ok so far from that. And if there was too much aggression with the rasboras, he could always move back into the 20 if need be. I wouldn't put anything else in it until I knew he was ok.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back