Moving betta to slightly smaller tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Beckyx

Reaction score
For various reasons I hate my biube :/

I currently have a lone male betta in it. He is really happy however and I feel guilty moving him. I would like to get a bigger tank and divide it so I can have two male bettas and a school of neons. However, this will mean giving my betta 4l less to swim in.

Is this acceptable? I'm worried he will hate me for moving him!

How big is the tank now? If he is happy, don't downsize.

He is currently in a 30l he would go down to having 26l of space...

I'm confused. Why do you want to down grade? Is there a specific reason?

They might want the bigger tank for other fish :)
You can't put other fish in a 7 gallon. Well no neons, tetras, corydoras, etc. You could do chili rasboras or ember tetras.

The air pump drives me nuts and I would like more than one betta hence going for a divided tank- otherwise I could possibly get a second tank?

Does the air pump make too much noise or is it the air bubbles in the tank?
There are different brands of air pump and some are quieter than others. If the pump is on a hard surface you can put a towel or sponge under it to help reduce noise.
You can buy more airline and put the pump in a different area and run airline to the tank. :)

I have tried different pumps but no luck... they all seem too powerful for it. It’s at a just about bearable stage!

You can turn most pumps down either with a dial or you loosen the screw on the side that holds the air chamber. Alternatively put a T-piece, tap and a foot of airline on the hose and bleed some air off.

Cut a length of tubing about 4 inches long and put it on the pump outlet. Put a T-piece on the airline and join one end to the airline that goes to the tank. Put a tap on the other end and put a foot or more of airline on the tap. Adjust the tap to reduce the air going to the pump.

If you want two betas in a 7 gallon (divided) that wont work. Get a 10 gallon and get a divider.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back