Most Dangerous Spider In The Uk

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

This is very nasty. I have spend eight years convincing my husband that the spiders here don't bite and therefore we aren't obliged to kill them all as we did in TX - and not there's one that does bite. Bah!

On a really sick side note, my dad saw a snake eating a frog when he was out walking the dog the other day. Bet that escaped from somewhere. I wonder what it was? Maybe I shouldn't convince Dan that everything is harmless any more.

my dad saw a snake eating a frog when he was out walking the dog the other day. Bet that escaped from somewhere.
proberbly a grass snake, they are often found hunting in and around ponds and will take fish newts and frogs.
on the other hand an adder will also eat a frog, given half a chance.

There really is very little reason to be worrying about these false widow spiders, their bite is usually no more painfull than a wasp or bee sting and not dangerous unless you are allergic to stings in general and in which case you shouldnt really be going anywhere near any creepy crawlies as most have the capacity to bite or sting in one form or another.

The common garden spider can give a pretty hard bite too but they dont have an interesting name like the false widow spider so the media havent jumped on them.

The average human eats eight spiders in their lifetime at night.
:blink: :crazy: :sick:

i'm showing this to Ian :hey:

he hates spiders, i have to get rid of them for him :rolleyes:

we've been talking about emigrating, i quite fancy australia, he refuses because of the spiders and creepy crawlies!

i'm showing this to Ian :hey:

he hates spiders, i have to get rid of them for him :rolleyes:

we've been talking about emigrating, i quite fancy australia, he refuses because of the spiders and creepy crawlies!

Very true, there are a lot of dangerous creepy crawlies in australia, snakes, scopions, spiders, deadly octopus, huge ants, insects etc...I have to admit, even though in general i'm fine with bugs and spiders and stuff, there were quite a few incidences while i was living in australia which made me jump or shiver.
My main advice if you want to live in australia and want as few encounters as posible with creepy crawlies over there, is keep your house as clean as posible and avoid having a garden (if you have to have a garden, just keep it to a lawn and a few shrubs or whatever). Even in my grandfathers garden, i discovered deadly redback black widow spiders and even a brown snake once (one of australia's most deadly snakes) in some bushland. My aunt janes garden was a lot better, mostly just encountered a large variety of lizards there, but i think thats because it had less tree's and bushes and things than my grandfathers garden. My aunt diana's garden was the worst though, as is was infested with bulldog ants, which are huge and very difficult to get rid of, and have a really nasty bite (nests of them have been known to kill young children/toddlers when disturbed);

http://www.ento.csiro.au/ecowatch/Primary/...ges/bulldog.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulldog_ant

But yeah, i've encountered a lot of nasty or deadly critters while living in australia in the past. Generally speaking, the more developed/populated the area you live in, the less likely you are to encounter any unwanted wildlife, but on the other hand australia has such beautiful countryside and ocean's it would be a shame to avoid and miss out on them just because of a fear of a few creepy crawlies and stuff :thumbs: .
I've never been bitten or attacked by anything really bad out there yet, most critters you encounter in australia are not interested in people and are perfectly fine if you don't make a fuss and just leave them alone :thumbs: .

most critters you encounter in australia are not interested in people and are perfectly fine if you don't make a fuss and just leave them alone :thumbs: .

its not really because of this that people get bitten or killed by poisonous animals, aside from toddlers and people wanting to handle the creatures in captivity, im sure most people get bitten because of stepping on a snake, or putting a shoe on that a scorpion has used as a shelter, or the same with spiders.
Of course theyre perfectly fine if you dont make a fuss of them, (generally) animals like snakes and spiders arent going to hunt you down and bite you because they feel like it, its only in the above accidental circumstances that a creature will attack (although technically they are just defending themselves).

Its not a matter, of "leaving them alone", if people dont want to get bitten then they leave them alone, its just instinct, not even commonsense. You just have to be careful and keep your wits about you, checking in shoes, watching where you tread if youre in the undergrowth, but even then you cant keep your eye out all the time, just gotta hope youre not unlucky.

Of course what miss wiggle said is also true :lol:

The average human eats eight spiders in their lifetime at night.
:blink: :crazy: :sick:

Not true- that was deliberately made up to see what people would believe. And they fell for it.

Where'd you here that? I think it's possible.

its more possible that it was made up :rolleyes:

how do you think whoever would have proved that came to that conclusion? Im not sure that scientists watched people every night for years on end, counting how many spiders they ate.

It cant be accurate at the very least, if at all true.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back