Moray Eel Emergency

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Marine/Freshwater?

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Help! My 18 inch Freshwater Moray (Gymnothorax Tile) is sitting at odd angles in the tank, and whenever it twists its head side ways, one of it gills stops working and then the eel coughs really bad. He has always had problems sitting straight, but now it barely grabs food when I give it to it. It looks very painful when it eats and when it coughs. I think it has always had some kind of nerve damage but now, I think something sensitive ion its gill pouch got damaged. He was recently fighting with 3.5 inch Grey Snapper (Lutjanus griseus). The little snapper was trying to eat the little snapper was trying to eat the new small moray I bought but instead it got confused and swallowed my sick morays head! Please help me figure out what to do.

Water Parameters are as follows (Ph.7.8, Specific Gravity 1.014.) All of my other fish are doing great including my new juvenile freshwater moray.

Which is it?

freshwater or salt?

you state freshwater but provide an SG of 1.014 which is brackish/salt?

So what research have you done to confirm if it is or isnt a freshwater fish?

I think my first route would be positive ID on fish and positive info on the proper water conditions, it could be you keeping it in High Bracksh thats killing it since its labelled "Freshwater Moray" or it could be you have it in the wrong SG level for the fish..

Worth you doing some googling on the fish tbh

Worth you doing some googling on the fish tbh
Or perhaps reading more on a subject before offering pretty poor advice?

Freshwater moray is a common name for a number of species (but mostly Gymnothorax tile) which inhabit estuarine areas. They occasionally make forays into freshwater, but only one has been noted to spend any significant time in FW as an adult (G. polyuranodon).

Strange about the coughing of the eel. Most morays will make spasm like movements with the head after eating to force the food down, and the moray has to have its mouth open to force water over the gills.

The SG seems. What are the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back