Molly withholding fry?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Snoel32016

Reaction score
I have a black molly that has had an extremely enlarged stomach for over 2 months now without giving birth. Maybe she isn't pregnant and has some sort of illness instead? She has been this same size for a minimum of 2 months and is in a tank by herself now because I was thinking that she emigrated have been withholding the birth due to the stress of the male harassing her. Any ideas or suggestions? Any thoughts on whether she is pregnant or ill?
Currently in a 10 gallon tank with sand substrate, and a couple anubias nana plants.
Parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
Ph: 7.4
Temp: 80 degrees

Her previous tank has the exact same parameters aside from being a 55 gallon with nitrates being between 5-10 and having Amazon swords, 5 amano shrimp, 5 nerite snails and a few tank mates including 6 corydoras, 2 (1 male, 1 female) mollies, 4 angelfish

I really thought she was ready to have the fry at any moment but now 2 months later and not a single one.

She has no pineconing, and I have searched for possible dead fry but find nothing.
b445c7de2598b169de490ba4860a2008.jpg
7d63c585886e58e71f88797124e303f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, she doesn't look ill, I have one doing the same thing at the moment, she has been pregnant for what seems like an age and huge too! I also thought she was ill but she gave birth the other night, not many fry and before I had a chance to rescue them the following morning the other fish had eaten them, even though there is a fair bit of cover in the tank. She still looks as pregnant as she did before so if I hadn't seen the fry I would be none the wiser, yours may have dropped fry at some point but with such a large tank and especially angels they probably wouldn't stand a chance, it's good you have separated her now and if you place some bushy floating plants in the tank such as hornwort I am sure you will find some fry soon, good luck!

Thank you! I bet she has dropped some in the past and they were eaten. At least now I know I'm not crazy! Her vent area has started to change to more of a 90degree angle which I assume is the boxy shape I always hear about so maybe this time I separated her in time! I think I am going to separate all of the live breeders into their own tank once I get a new one cycled.

She finally had the fry! About 25 total [emoji16]

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back