Molly - Pregnant or Dropsy?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

danni88

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to keeping tropical fish and one of my molly is looking very large pretty much overnight. She was enlarged previously and lives in a tank with one (very active!) male and 2 other females. She is spending a lot of time at the top of the tank but is still feeding ok as of last night and moving quickly when the male "gives her attention". I've read about a pine cone effect from the top meaning dropsy but I'm not sure if that's what she is exhibiting, I also read spending a lot of time at the top of the tank can by a symptom of dropsy. Water changes are completed every week and levels other than high PH tested ok as of 29/10. Any advice appreciated on what you think this is and any course of action.

Edit: Noticed her tail has been nipped when taking the photos.

Thanks

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 1,132
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 793
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 6,157
She doesn't look like she has dropsy. The 'pinecone' effect you see with dropsy has the scales being pushed out by the body swelling up, so they actually stick out from the fish's body, leaving it looking spiky; what you're seeing is just the fish's natural colouration.

I would guess she's just getting bigger because she is pregnant; most female livebearers are pregnant, all the time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back