Molly Laying On Side

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

maddysg

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I just put in a new male dalmation molly and today I noticed that his side fin appears to be damaged and it looks like the other fish have been eating him... he is laying on his side, appears to be breathing fine, and swims really fast when I put a net near him.  I have two adolescent mollies, and a couple female guppies in with him that are doing fine.  I also have a couple of mystery snails.  I don't want this poor dude to croak.

Sorry to hear your little molly is poorly.

Unfortunately, it's very difficult for us to guess what might be wrong, just with the information you've given.

Could you tell us;

how big the tank is, how long it's been set up, and exactly what fish you have (species and numbers)?

have you had the water tested at all (and if so, what were the results)?

It's a 15 gallon tank w/ live plants.

It's been set up for about two months, so it's fairly new.

I have two adolescent balloon mollies, about the size of your thumb nail.  Two guppies, not exactly sure what kind.  And the two mystery snails.

I have tested the water and everything looked perfect. 

When I fist put him in...he seemed to just be swimming on the top in the corner, and he wasn't eating.  He seemed to be isolating himself.  I did have to drive with him when I purchased him...about three hours.  I hope its not stress...or heaven forbid I picked up a disease from a pet store :(  I don't see any weird growths or spots, he just appears to be injured. 

Can you post the numbers from your tests, please?

I don't have them off hand at the moment but I will stick them on here later. :)

So he died while I was at work....  everybody else in the community still seems alert and healthy.  This is what his side looks like.  I just want to make sure I don't need to treat the rest of the tank with something. I have a picture...but I'm not sure how to post it.

My numbers are:

Ph-  7
Nitrite-  0
Nitrate-  20
GH-  120
KH-  80

Figured it out! Here he is :(

Attachments

• Molly.JPG
    Molly.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 201

Most reactions