Molly jumping..

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Super Nova

Reaction score
Hello,
Just yesterday I was cleaning my tank and I decided to separate my fish from the tank to stress them out a little less when hoovering the gravel..and well, my little brave molly decided to become an Olympic high jumper and jump out of the container and onto the wooden floor.. (about 1.3 meters) luckily my boyfriend watched it all happen and put him back into the water instantly.. but it was a pretty big impact.. he seemed to be perfectly okay yesterday, he was a bit sluggish and hidden away unlike his usual bubbly personality.. he was also bending his tail a little.. other than that he swam
Normally. today heā€™s strugfling to swim straight and his tail looks like this ; he also seems to puff up a little, and itā€™s starting to look like Dropsy. I honestly have no clue what to do with him, I put him into a clear breeding box to give him his own space since he like to chill at the bottom.. Is there anything I can do? Or what happened to him maybe? Broken fin or Dropsy from the impact?

Attachments

• E1B786E1-8734-4024-B521-9AB6E1F3C88F.jpeg
    E1B786E1-8734-4024-B521-9AB6E1F3C88F.jpeg
    922.4 KB · Views: 274
Okay so exactly an hour later I found him bottom up and motion less.. Olympic Jumper molly took the ceramic express to heaven.. May he rest in peace.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, and I'm sorry you didn't get a reply sooner, although there's almost certainly nothing you could have done.

Please don't take the fish out of the tank for water changes again. It's a lot more stressful for them to be caught and moved than it is for them to stay in the tank, even without the jumping out issues, which are very common when fish are being moved.

Okay so exactly an hour later I found him bottom up and motion less.. Olympic Jumper molly took the ceramic express to heaven.. May he rest in peace.
You don't need to remove your fish during a gravel siphon as long as you are careful they don't get sucked in. My angels actually peck at the tube as I clean the sand because they think its food moving through the water, I have to be careful and shoo them off with a poke now and again to avoid siphoning them up! The only real stress your fish will experience is if you are dumping the new water back into the tank at an enormous rate. The sudden current witll startle all the fish and potentially cause harm as they fight not to bump into things. Mollies are also known jumpers, I had quite a few smack against my tank hood when I kept them. They we're always fine thank goodness as I had a guard over the led's but without that hood I'd of had losses.

Thank you for the advice, I definetly wonā€™t be taking them out again after that incident. And about mollies being jumpers.. mine love jumping about after lights go off, I never manage to see them but sure as heā€™ll hear the splashing away at night

Definitely don't remove fish from the tank unless you need to drain it completely and/or are moving the tank. Don't be too disheartened though, I've made a similar mistake with a rainbow fish. I think we've all had fish take a leap of faith, only to find them shriveled up or half dead on the floor...

Btw, that fish appears to be a platy and not a molly.

Thank you for the advice, I definetly wonā€™t be taking them out again after that incident. And about mollies being jumpers.. mine love jumping about after lights go off, I never manage to see them but sure as heā€™ll hear the splashing away at night

There is another serious issue here, but before explaining that...I agree with other members about doing water changes with the fish in the tank, always. It is only when you may need a major task like changing over the substrate that fish should be removed. Ordinary water changes and substrate cleaning (if not excessive) are minor issues for fish, and as one member noted, they will often become quite used to them. I've had fish nibbling on the hairs on my arm when I have been in the tank trimming a low growing plant.

Now to the light/jumping issue. This is a sign of severe stress; I will copy over the relevant sections from an article I wrote on how light affects fish, as it explains it fully, but feel free to question anything.

Fish eyes are not much different from those of other vertebrates including humans. Our eyes share a cornea, an iris, a lens, a pupil, and a retina. The latter contains rods which allow us to see in dim light and cones which perceive colours; while mammals (like us) have two types of cones, fish have threeā€”one for each of the colours red, green and blue. These connect to nerve cells which transmit images to the brain, and the optic lobe is the largest part of the fishā€™s brain.

These cells are very delicate; humans have pupils that expand or contract to alter the amount of light entering the eye and eyelids, both of which help to prevent damage occurring due to bright light. Fish (with very few exceptions such as some shark species) do not have eyelids, and in most species their pupils are fixed and cannot alter. In bright light, the rods retract into the retina and the cones approach the surface; in dim light the opposite occurs. But unlike our pupils that change very quickly, this process in fish takes time. Scientific studies on salmon have shown that it takes half an hour for the eye to adjust to bright light, and an hour to adjust to dim light. This is why the aquarist should wait at least 30 minutes after the tank lights come on before feeding or performing a water change or other tank maintenance; this allows the fish to adjust to the light difference.

Turning the Tank Light On/Off

When the tank light suddenly turns on in a dark room, fish will dive to the substrate, dash about frantically often hitting the glass sides of the aquarium, or even jump out of the water. The same reactions occur when the tank lights are suddenly turned out. Aside from any possible physical injury the fish may sustain, these sudden changes in the light cause significant stress to the fish. Bright camera flashes can also be stressful in the same way. So also would any unnatural effect such as strobe lighting.

Thom Demas, curator of fishes at the Tennessee Aquarium, defines stress as anything that threatens to disrupt an organismā€™s normal physical, mental and/or emotional state. The organism must then expend energy dealing with the stressor, which leaves it with less energy to deal with other things, such as pathogens. ā€œIf the fish are busy running from or hiding from that weird phenomenon of ā€˜instant lights on or off,ā€™ they may be wasting energy to this stressor and eventually get sick from something that is most likely ubiquitous and that they would have tolerated had the stressing event not been there,ā€ says Demas. There is now ample scientific evidence that in fish as in humans, stress at any level has a very negative impact on the immune system because it disrupts the physiological equilibrium of the fish.

The solution with tank lights is obvious: the room should always be reasonably well lit when the tank light comes on and when it goes off. As Marc Kind, curator of fishes and invertebrates at the Adventure Aquarium in Camden, New Jersey, says, ā€œthis is just good, sound husbandry.ā€ Given the evidence mentioned previously of the time it takes for fish to adjust, the room should be lit for at least an hour before and after the tank light is turned on or off respectively. From my own experience this all but eliminates any frantic reactions from the fish. They will uniformly and quickly swim toward the room light source (be it light coming in the window or from a lamp) when the tank light goes off, but without frantic crashes and jumping into the tank cover glass which will otherwise occur.​

Definitely don't remove fish from the tank unless you need to drain it completely and/or are moving the tank. Don't be too disheartened though, I've made a similar mistake with a rainbow fish. I think we've all had fish take a leap of faith, only to find them shriveled up or half dead on the floor...

Btw, that fish appears to be a platy and not a molly.
Thank you, and Iā€™m very sorry to hear about your rainbow fish - they are goergous.. and heā€™s definitely a molly, I have a platy almost identical to him. My platy just doesnā€™t have the black. They are very hard to distinguish but heā€™s definetly a common short finned molly.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back