Molly Help Emergency

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jephex

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok my orange molly just died out of nowhere, she ws looking pretty healthy...a major factor could be the fact that she recently gave birth. My black molly looks absolutely terrible but he is actually not lethargic at all...the top part of his tail fin (hes a lyretail) is completely limp and is close with his bottom one. It could just be his coloring, but he has a couple(not ich), fairly dim white patches, about three on his body altogether, not completely visible, but easy to see. He does eat and swim, and is fairly active, but the death of the orange molly sort of alarmed me, and Im not sure what else could happen. :byebye:

here is a photo of him
also note the incredibly large dookie he has hanging off of him.

Chemicals are perfect, tested by lfs
tank size 10 gallons
2 corys 3 mollys (used to be 4), 1 hillstream loach, 1 dwarf gourami, 4 ghost shrimp

Attachments

• Untitled_1.jpg
    Untitled_1.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 89
When your fish is holding its fins into its body, it is called clamping its fins, which is a general sign of stress. There are two possiblities I'm thinking of, unfortunately, both have different treatments.

Not the author of this

Columnaris - Grayish-white film on skin, damaged fins, ulcers, yellow to gray patches on gills, tissue on head may be eaten away. Must be treated immediately with Over-the-counter antibiotic medications. Very contagious – disinfect tank, rocks, net, etc.

Costia (Slime Disease) - White film, reddened areas on body, abnormal swimming, scratching, folded fins. Must be treated quickly. Raise water temperature and use OTC medication for parasites. Salt treatment may work, as well.

If I were forced to guess, I would say Costia, because of the seperate, well defined patches. Hopefully someone else can give a second opinion, because if it is columnaris, raising the temp causes it to grow faster.

As for his poop - is it white? does his stomache look bloated? Here he is showing signs of two different things, either constipation or internal parasites.

i dont want to start jumping to conclusions right away...his fins are all folding except for his swimming ones.

no white poop, perfectly visible in the photo

The reason why I asked about the color of the poop is simply because photos of fish don't always show the true color. Don't ask me why, it is just something that just happens at times. I have seen this countless times with my bettas when I photograph them. Just trying to be thorough.

yeah i know i apologize im just frustrated w/ my tank

White greyish patches even if not fluffy looking can be bacterial or parasite, any flicking and rubbing or heavy breathing,red inflamed gills, excess of slime trailing mucas.

someone in my family used to use metronidazole tablets...250 mg each, just like fish-zole is...should I use it in the tank, maybe put it in the filter to dissolve, its the perfect amount for a 10 gallon.

Metronidazole: (FLAGYL) Treatment of hole in the head disease (
hexamita ) salt water ich or bloat. 250 ml per 20 gallons of water, and can be mixed in foods.
well it is for a parasite but i don't no.

uh metronidazole is for internal parasites man

its not for hole in the head disease only: Fish-Zole; For treatment of infectious organisims of fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back