Molly/guppy Hybrids?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cookiemistress

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, just found out that guppies and mollies and interbreed, as i've posted about a previously agressive molly untill adding females and guppies - male and female, had someone posting saying you should never have mollies and guppies in together "I wish people wouldn't mix mollies and guppies, they will interbreed....."  
I've found on here that it is very difficult and any fry usually don't live, also i've found on wiki that enlders livebearers are a species of molly and endlers get bred with guppies so i would have thought there isn't a problem with keeping mollies and guppies together. 

I've kept Molly's and guppies together for a few years and never had them cross breed so how you've managed that I have no idea??

And to why not keeping them together people say is a no no is a mystery to me as I've never had any issues with keeping them together.

It can happen, but isn't particularly common, and IIRC, any surviving fry are infertile.

Endlers aren't a molly species. There is some debate as to whether they are a guppy or just a cousin of a guppy, but certainly, the majority of endlers you see in LFS are endler/guppy hybrids.

Further down the same page it says:-

According to Stan Shubel, the author of "Aquarium Care for Fancy Guppies", the Endler guppy is, in fact, not a separate species; it has the same genetic makeup as the guppy, yet is given its own name, Poecilia wingei, for conservation purposes.

Wikipedia is not without error.

In the last 5 years there has now been 4 species identified via genetic's at not be guppy's but a new species, However they look identical and I'm guessing they will all cross breed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back