Molly Fish Swimming Vertical! Is This Normal!?!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FishHelper101

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Help! My female molly fish has been swimming vertically and uncontrollably! She looks to be in discomfort and has done this every time I clean her tank! I use water conditioner but i'm out of pH testing strips! This has been worrying me so as I am setting up a community tank tomorrow and need to know could this be an out break disease! No white spots or eye troubles just seems to be in a lot of discomfort
sad.png
Help me please!!! 
sad2.gif

Does she do this only after a water change? If so, for how long? Does she return to fully normal swimming after a period of time?

My first thoughts were swim bladder issues.

FishHelper101 said:
Help! My female molly fish has been swimming vertically and uncontrollably! She looks to be in discomfort and has done this every time I clean her tank! I use water conditioner but i'm out of pH testing strips! This has been worrying me so as I am setting up a community tank tomorrow and need to know could this be an out break disease! No white spots or eye troubles just seems to be in a lot of discomfort
sad.png
Help me please!!! 
sad2.gif
Are you making sure that the water you put in the tank is of equal temperature as the existing tank water?
Just a thought...

PrairieSunflower said:
Does she do this only after a water change? If so, for how long? Does she return to fully normal swimming after a period of time?

My first thoughts were swim bladder issues.
Yes! After a day she's swimming just fine and it's really scary because I don't want her passing anything to new fish I'm getting tomorrow

I personally would hold off getting new fish until you are certain you can solve the issue with your molly first, unless you have a quarantine tank for the new fish.

As swordtail asked, what process are you using to change your tank water? Perhaps something is happening in the process that is shocking your fish, drastic change in water quality, temperature, pH shifts even?

With my guppies my tap water changed pH (which seems to be a permanent change) and my fish guppies would on and off hover in random places at 45 degree angles for two weeks while they adjusted (my platies and neons were unaffected).

PrairieSunflower said:
I personally would hold off getting new fish until you are certain you can solve the issue with your molly first, unless you have a quarantine tank for the new fish.

As swordtail asked, what process are you using to change your tank water? Perhaps something is happening in the process that is shocking your fish, drastic change in water quality, temperature, pH shifts even?

With my guppies my tap water changed pH (which seems to be a permanent change) and my fish guppies would on and off hover in random places at 45 degree angles for two weeks while they adjusted (my platies and neons were unaffected).
Yes she's in a quarantine tank now and I scrubbed down my 10 gallon extra and cleaned gravel,plants and filter parts. I'm unable to test my water so i'm not sure what my pH levels are! The water is remaining at a still 79 degrees F with the heater running. Her water was always at 77 degrees so no real tempt changes. The only thing I can't confirm is the pH levels for right now.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back